An EV work truck?

wrecit

Ok I worked in the power generation sector so I know about the issues with the EV will take over the world theroy. I also love gas engines not to mention rolling coal but thought I would throw this out there.

I been watching an ev company based in Ohio called Lordstown motors for the past 2 years (and development of their truck under the workhorse company for 4 years) they are finally ramping up to deliver the truck.

It is far from a sure thing and the road to production has been rocky but it looks like they are finally ready. The reason I think they can be viable is their truck design is using things nobody else is doing like putting a solid rear end with leaf springs and using 4 hub motors rather than traditional drive shafts. They are claiming you can replace a hub motor in 5 to 10 minutes using standard tools. The design has also lead to discussions because of the wheel hub motor design that it would be fairly easy to put a lift kit on the truck and they already claim and have tested off road ability (they have entered a prototype in some endurance off road races though they had to pull out early) they have presented the possibility that it can be worked on by the owner rather than having to go to special mechanics.

IMO as a carpenter by trade they have a dedicated work truck that will be able to handle loads and towing equal to the big 3 light duty gas trucks. Their initial offering is going to fleet work trucks with consumer sales hopefully starting mid 2023.

Right now stock price is $2.50 and this would be a long term investment of at least 5 to 10 years but some think they could be the Tesla of the truck world and 12 years ago Tesla cost $3.90 a share.

Again not a sure thing but dropping $10 to 20 a week into Robinhood could make life a little more comfortable in 10 years. It might be worth doing some homework to see if you might be interested

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220817-153939.jpg
    Screenshot_20220817-153939.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20220817-154056.jpg
    Screenshot_20220817-154056.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 16
Publicly traded under what name ?
As a stock option i might be interested .
A hub motor design is interesting . If one fails still could limp home hopefully.
(y)

If you've ever driven an electric or hybrid vehicle made from 2020 or newer, then you'll know its only a matter of time before full electric is the norm for tradesmen and commuters.

Regardless of how you feel about lithium mining or coal powered electric plants, the technology and power is nothing short of incredible. This is coming from a die hard internal combustion guy.

I’ve been in the automotive business for 20 years I laugh every day when I hear people say ev is going to change the word. Then I hear the story of a 2 day trip to go 300 miles. And this is accurate information not something I read on the internet. You will never ever replace the gas engine. Never

Those stories are far and few between since your average ev is getting 300 plus a charge today. I do agree that it's going to take 1 or 2 generations of battery before it becomes more than a pipe dream and I feel that the push for all ev is skipping what I feel is the logical step of hybrid first.

EV will be the future though be it 15 or 25 years till it crosses the 50% market share if the grid work is done to support it (which is a big if) remember in about 2000 everyone laughed at the prius and that joke has sold almost 2 million units since then. Your right dino juice power will be around for many years to come but if you seek shear performance and handling put your rear behind the wheel of a good ev one time and the only argument that will hold water is but it does not make noise.

Yeah, He's already eating those words, the Ev already has replaced many engines. If you had said it won't replace ALL engines, I'd agree.

The fact of the matter is it's a growing industry, it will get better because there is money to be made. If range is your only argument, blah. It's about proper use then, not about the EV. I don't care either way. But, people with the range argument on their side like it's the end all be all is absolutely in denial.

(Edit) This is also as Wrecit said besides the actual power generation issues Electric Vehicles face. That could be solved at some point in the future, and I think will for the most part be solved. But, it's like anything, you have pro's and con's to anything.

Last edited:
The Lordstown EV truck will come to be as soon as the first dirigible from our airport plant comes to be.
That truck making it to the market from Mahoning county is as slim a chance as a dirigible flying from a Mahoning County airport.

Their stock is soon to be a penny stock if it ain't already.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lor...512j0i512l8.6317j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Only reason for that truck was to suck up tax credits and government funds to get it going and sold so GM didn't have to pay for tearing down it's no longer needed assembly and stamping plant.

The rackets are still alive and well in Mahoning County Ohio.

Like I said Paul, it's not a sure thing but I been following the trucks development well before Lordstown was in play as the build location. If they can deliver their initial units by December like they are now claiming they will (500 initially) then their model will pay off.

Unlike the other EV stuff they are targeting fleet sales first as an EV option to replace utility companies light duty f150 and Chevy 1500 fleets.

The biggest problem they had was their CEO burns had great vision but was a con artist at heart. The current CEO, hightower, has the experience and drive from years at Ford (and GM I believe) to actually bring a product to market. You may be right about it dumping like most start ups which is always a risk. Will be interesting to revisit the topic in a year. Btw since hightower took over they finished in the black for the first quarter in their 4 years of life

Sure 300 miles on a full charge, no ac, no radio, and don’t bother using your turn signal. I won’t eat my words on that, when you run out of power on the road what’s going to come recuse you?

I've been using an EV mobility scooter for years now.
I ALWAYS worry about running out of battery and having to have it towed or have someone bring my van to it.
EV's are heavy and you ain't going to push it to a gas station or have someone bring a can of gas to you to get it home.
All EV's ought to come with a trailer hitch so a trailer loaded battery unit can be brought to you to get you to a charging station.
Folks will run out of electricity at times no different then running out of gas sometimes.
The cost of running out though will be a whole lot more then having someone bring you a can of gas.

When you are riding in or on an EV you never take your "real car" keys with you.

XXX 2 on your list are checked off by out a dozen companies right now. As for your 400 mile number not sure where you pulled that from but the "next gen" battery should provide that. The current batteries being used are tested to federal standards providing 200 to 350 miles per charge (depending of which ev truck we are talking about) to look at potential time frame to hit your 400 mile target you can look at that crappy Prius. The factory battery put in the 2015 will get you around 50mpg. An after market upgrade to a lifpo4 pack will increase mpg to around 65 mpg so around 20% plus increase all obtained from battery.

For medium to large city utilities as well as most construction contractors however 200 tends to be more than enough per day. Rural areas will require more miles and push if not exceed the 200 to 350 a day. At 200 miles a day driven to the max for 5 days a week would put you at 52,000 miles a year Not many people actually drive near as much as people thing though

https://smartfinancial.com/average-miles-driven-per-year

Again dino juice will be a go to for quite a while but we all knew Elon was a joke back in the early 2000's and yet Tesla has sold almost 2 million units with 32% of them sold in 2021. We won't even go into the dumbest name for a fast car, the plaid, be the demon killer that is forcing even dodge to go to the electric side to get better speed and performance.

https://fortunly.com/statistics/tesla-car-sales-statistics/#gref

XXX 2 on your list are checked off by out a dozen companies right now. As for your 400 mile number not sure where you pulled that from but the "next gen" battery should provide that. The current batteries being used are tested to federal standards providing 200 to 350 miles per charge (depending of which ev truck we are talking about) to look at potential time frame to hit your 400 mile target you can look at that crappy Prius. The factory battery put in the 2015 will get you around 50mpg. An after market upgrade to a lifpo4 pack will increase mpg to around 65 mpg so around 20% plus increase all obtained from battery.

For medium to large city utilities as well as most construction contractors however 200 tends to be more than enough per day. Rural areas will require more miles and push if not exceed the 200 to 350 a day. At 200 miles a day driven to the max for 5 days a week would put you at 52,000 miles a year Not many people actually drive near as much as people thing though

https://smartfinancial.com/average-miles-driven-per-year

Again dino juice will be a go to for quite a while but we all knew Elon was a joke back in the early 2000's and yet Tesla has sold almost 2 million units with 32% of them sold in 2021. We won't even go into the dumbest name for a fast car, the plaid, be the demon killer that is forcing even dodge to go to the electric side to get better speed and performance.

https://fortunly.com/statistics/tesla-car-sales-statistics/#gref
I drive near 400 miles a day, with 1000lbs of tools in the truck.
I'm gone from home 15 hours a day.
Wake me up when they build one that will meet my needs.
You people that can use one buy one, I don't want one

Back