animal cylinder head recondition

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
Stock head, better springs, stock valve size.
Is it acceptable to use a wire wheel to clean the valves from head to retainers?
should i use some kind of polishing wheel next?
same with the rest of the of the head.

any tips would be appreciated.
any type of chemical bath to use or stay away from??

Don't use wire wheel on valve stem or sealing face. There are some great nylon wheels or brass. Don't use a wire brush on the Aluminum cyl. head

so what's the best method to clean the head? Just hot water and dish soap? de-greaser?
I think i have a brass wheel for a drill?? will check.

U can bead blast... But make sure u clean it super well! Same with the valves... Use real low pressure on valves and around the valve seats

right or wrong. i soaked the valve heads in break free for about 20 minutes then took a Scotch bright bad and worked the ends of the valves... not shiny new, but no deposits.

NOW!! just planning on lapping the valve seats... don't have one of those tools, but i can just use something to put a little pressure and twist the valve back and forth for a few minute each ... Right?? What about putting machinist blue or some other on the valve and seat to see the worked area, or is that over kill??

Go to the hardware store and find rubber hose that fits the retainer side of the valve tight. Put the lapping compound on the valve use a black sharpy to color in the seat area... Slide valve in place... Push rubber hose on an twist with a slight pull... Go intell the sharpy is gone

Blue scotch brite pad and parts cleaner works well for me, the blue pad wont scratch anything up but will clean anything very well

Back