Animal piston height

hershrod

Refreshing a stock animal. Piston is .011 in the hole. Do I cut the deck or is there a longer rod available to bring it up a few thousand?

I have been working on animals since they were first available, I don't think I ever saw more then .006 in the hole. I am not disputing any of the previous advice, it is correct but I would worry that something is off. Animal parts are usually very consistent so I am worried that you may have some sort of an odd rod, piston or crank. If you are planning on boring it, I would do that first and then re-measure with the new piston and rod before milling the block. Like I say never saw such a problem, just a suggestion to proceed with caution before the block is ruined for legal competition. Do you know the history of the motor?

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I bought it off a friend who said he noticed it was .011 deep when he rebuilt it also. Pretty sure it’s a stock crank and piston still std bore, and a stock length arc rod. Doesn’t need bored just gonna give it a clean up hone, new rings and bearings inserts. I just hate to give up that .011

I'd agree with Chip, check the big end of the rod and the rod journal on the crank to see if it's worn that could be causing the piston to be that deep in the cylinder BEFORE doing any machine work.
Now, they can definitely be in the hole that much from the factory, (especially blocks from about 8-10 years ago, shortly after the LO206 was introduced and they started keeping track of piston pop-up on the 206.) When the L206 short blocks were hand sorted, anything that was out of spec became an animal engine, same with cylinder heads. Today, they are all very similar, but I still find the new animal engines have pistons in the hole. I have a couple brand new animals here that I disassembled to rob all the parts off of to substitute a sealed LO206 shortblock just to make complete 206 engines for customers who have been waiting for several months for their engines. These animal engines have the pistons in the deck -- albeit not .011," but I have definitely seen them in the hole that much before.

OP, Check that rod journal, then get that block on the mill before you hone it and get it to about +.0035" for WKA rules. That allows a small cushion for rod stretch.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I'd agree with Chip, check the big end of the rod and the rod journal on the crank to see if it's worn that could be causing the piston to be that deep in the cylinder BEFORE doing any machine work.
Now, they can definitely be in the hole that much from the factory, (especially blocks from about 8-10 years ago, shortly after the LO206 was introduced and they started keeping track of piston pop-up on the 206.) When the L206 short blocks were hand sorted, anything that was out of spec became an animal engine, same with cylinder heads. Today, they are all very similar, but I still find the new animal engines have pistons in the hole. I have a couple brand new animals here that I disassembled to rob all the parts off of to substitute a sealed LO206 shortblock just to make complete 206 engines for customers who have been waiting for several months for their engines. These animal engines have the pistons in the deck -- albeit not .011," but I have definitely seen them in the hole that much before.

OP, Check that rod journal, then get that block on the mill before you hone it and get it to about +.0035" for WKA rules. That allows a small cushion for rod stretch.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com