Another Pro Gas ?

Petty

So Pro Gas is not the same class as last year? I have a slick 50 which is now illegal in pro gas?

That is correct. Pro gas is now a gold cup chassis and bodywork only class.

My name is Jerry Cole WKA trustee District 6 ( Michigan /Ohio ) , currently of 10 trustees, myself and Lee Camerra ,trustee District 9 are the only trustees with a working knowledge of the WKA road racing program. I joined WKA at the very first road race nationals held in 1972 at Road Atlanta and have been a member since then . I also have been an active supporter, participant and sponsor of the WKA Gold Cup series for the past 25 years, and missed very few events . I have been a WKA certified tech. inspector , both 2 and 4 cycle for many years and have conducted many WKA non tech training seminars .

With that being said and after receiving numerous phone calls concerning the new Gold Cup senior pro gas class I realized the rule needed to be cleaned up and more specific. I contacted Jack Reall and we worked out the details and his concerns on body work . The intent of this class is to use a chassis and body work normally used at Gold Cup events .
Gold Cup allows both CIK and WKA bodywork with no minimum width , the most common are the G-Man and M&M bodies .These are offered in both 38" and 42" width depending on the mfg. and made of plastic material . Fiberglass is legal but rarely seen or used and I have never seen any bodywork as used in road race sprint classes at a Gold Cup . Gold Cup rules do have max height rule , Tech Manual page 48 diagram 258.3 , 17" max. We also have a rule TM page 23, 101.5 Spirit and Intent which we will have to depend on for Daytona . The minimum nose width will be addressed at the next trustee meeting ,Jan. 2015 .
The rule for Daytona is as follows :

Pro Gas Senior Gold Cup Final 1 & Final 2
Chassis and bodywork must meet Gold Cup rules
Drive line, 219 or 35 chain and belt drive allowed
Pro Gas motor per WKA tech rules
Dual brake system mandatory
Open tires
Weight , minimum kart and driver as raced 370 lbs.

This kart package would be legal to race in the Animal Modified class as well.

I would like to thank Jack for his assistance on this matter .

I will be at Daytona and have been assigned as the WKA Trustee Rep for the Road Race .
I will be primarily supporting the event staff . I am confident Brandon Taylor , Gene Davis and all the support staff will need very little assistance . I hope to see you all at Daytona and will be available to address any concerns , ideas suggestions .

Thanks
Jerry Cole

So Pro Gas is not the same class as last year? I have a slick 50 which is now illegal in pro gas?

Hey Petty, Look at the bright side of it, you only need 1 basic kart style to road race and sprint race.........lets call it the " Combo Kart". Other than the fact you need the dual brake system ( good thing....safer ) its the same as the standard Sprint gold cup kart.
Personally I think WKA should adopt the dual brake system on the sprint gold cup karts also. With the 1 mile + tracks that sprint racers race on today, as compared to years ago, the speeds are approaching the road race speeds, 70 + mph.

The new gold cup road race class has good growth potential ( in coming years ) with this style kart vs the specialty road race only chassis that cannot race on the sprint tracks! Bigger pool to pull from.......lets see how this progresses.

Steve

I see your point Steve. But these changes so soon before the race are a little ridiculous. Just purchased a used kart, sold a buddy my previous road race kart so he could race pro gas too this season. Another buddy of mine purchased a used road race kart(all three of use plan on road racing all season). I have no desire to race gold cup at this point. I favor the bigger tracks and like the seat time road racing provides.

I understand the growth aspect of the move. It's a great way to get guys to try it out. But I need a place the race. I already paid registration, two garage stalls, RV spot. PLUS kart, parts and time off work.

I see your point Steve. But these changes so soon before the race are a little ridiculous.

Petty, I don't have a good answer for you.............this change started in this thread back on 7/7/14......http://karting.4cycle.com/showthread.php?27122-2015-4-Cycle-WKA-Enduro-Class-Structure......... so if you was not following this long thread you would not have seen this coming......agree late changes just before a big race is never a good thing.

The RR gang are a bunch of good racers maybe you will hear from some of them to help with your dilemma.

Steve

I hear you Steve. The people I have met at the road races are the reason I'm making the switch.

Desi- would that be at the same weight?

Thanks for the help guys. Just trying to get this figured out and have as much fun as possible this season.

Hey mr petty

The main reason for this new class was to draw new people from the gold cup division to run the road race series !!

I know for a fact that the rules committee wanted to keep the pro- gas one more year to see if it would grow

Check the entry's from last year and very few racers showed up

I tryed to get the pro-gas class started as myself and a couple others sponsored the class

I sent u a pm with my number. Feel free to call me and I'll discuss it more

Peewee. MGM Fab

Thanks for the PM I sent you one back.

Like I said in the PM I have a 206 and that will be my backup plan. But I'd rather go a little faster. Lol

Thanks everyone.

Cam swap, methanol jet kit and a bit of timing and run in animal, Dr T can do the work on a bench in the trailer - it is just a tiller motor all in all.

Steve or anyone else, what about running with the alcohol but 15 pounds lighter? Like in the gold cup.

Steve or anyone else, what about running with the alcohol but 15 pounds lighter? Like in the gold cup.

I'm not the one to ask that question ........... I do not see that being allowed at this time. Pretty sure the classes are set now for 2015. As B-man said another option is to make mods on your engine for alky, or maybe find a used BP alky engine .......... should be lots of them laying around various shops these days.

Steve

Might be able to dig up a "rental" for pizza and a six pack because thats how we road racers roll.

Back