Anyone renting out motors for Motorama?

mopdog

I have a friend who is trying to decide what to do for a motor at Motorama....anyone renting? How much for the weekend for a motor or motor and clutch? PM....thanks.
Also he wants to know who is responsible if he blows up?

I rent LO 206's
LO 206's don't blow up unless you forget to put oil in them.
So he would be responcible.

I have a friend who is trying to decide what to do for a motor at Motorama....anyone renting? How much for the weekend for a motor or motor and clutch? PM....thanks.
Also he wants to know who is responsible if he blows up?
Typically when you rent an engine you pay the rental fee. 250-400. Also There's a deposit you put down to cover damage. I would run your credit card for 800+400. If there was no issue then credit your card 800$. Now if you bring back the engine and looks pretty, but you overheated it- over reved- broke the muffler or what ever parts and labor would be subtracted from the 800$

Typically when you rent an engine you pay the rental fee. 250-400. Also There's a deposit you put down to cover damage. I would run your credit card for 800+400. If there was no issue then credit your card 800$. Now if you bring back the engine and looks pretty, but you overheated it- over reved- broke the muffler or what ever parts and labor would be subtracted from the 800$

So in other words, your better off just buying a new engine and you get to keep it instead of using it for a weekend.

I'm no math major but it seems like it would make more sense to buy an engine.

Just about every time that I've rented an engine for an event that I was not right there babysitting it, I've gotten burnt. Now, the LO206 may be a bit easier to deal with since it is sealed, but then again, the owner of the engine doesn't have any control over the renter using the proper oil or correct amount, etc. If I'm at the track, it's easier to keep tabs on it and make sure that it's cared for properly. Not questioning the renter's ability to take care of the engine, or their intent, just simply he has less invested in it (ie the reason he's renting over purchasing.)
With the price of the LO206 engine packages so affordable already, it would be difficult to justify renting one for about the same money as purchasing it outright.
I can ship a new LO206 out to you today if that's of any interest. We're not in the business of renting though.
I've got fresh flatheads right now from $500. Shipping FedEx daily.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Just like Brian stated, its not worth renting. You rent an engine and the customer doesn't care for the engine. forgets to change oil, wrong oil, karts wicked tight and over heats it. You also want to rent a clutch on it. Lets say the snap ring falls off the clutch that holds the gear on. or your seat slides over and hits the clutch, stall speed set to low and you just cook it!! There goes that clutch, and an upset customer when he has to pay the bill.
People ask me about renting all the time, mainly guys who raced karts and stepped up to cars. They want to attend a money race or memorial race. My dad said its just not worth it, now if we are there at the track, We wont even rent you the engine. ill let you use one for the day!!

Ahhh
That explains why you asked about blowing up an engine.
I just rented a LO 206 and an Blueprinted Animal for Daytona and i have no complaints.
I have also rented several LO 206's over the last few years for the Rock Island Grand Prix and have had no problems of any consequence.

Give GKS a call, I'm very happy with my engines from him. At Syracuse I won Super Heavy, JP's karts won clone light, 4th in pro clone, and should have won 4cycle masters until driveline failure on GKS.

Back