Artificial Intelligence

Are any of you using it for anything constructive?
ChatGPT or Bard?
AJ tells me that colleges are scrambling to come up with ways to detect its use (and AI IS being used.) They already have some interesting technology to check for plagiarism (even of your own papers.) I have not used either personally, and don't care to. Maybe as I get older and more forgetful I could use it to answer forum questions. Now, if we could just get AI to answer "what chassis is this" What's the best oil" and "Who builds the best clone?" I can see it now - the oil companies and engine builders would be scrambling to sponsor the technology so their brands would come up higher on the response list. :)

Blessings,
Brian Carlson

Are any of you using it for anything constructive?
ChatGPT or Bard?
Have you tried either?
I value my thoughts good or poor as they may be and I'm thinking using it would be giving my ideas and thoughts to the world.
I just had this thought: Will or could ChatGPT and Bard filter input keeping to itself words, thoughts and ideas it's own AI thinks valuable, not releasing it for conversation with the world?

I strongly feel this site over the years has dispensed general oval racing knowledge and a lot of what use to be thought racing secrets.
And that dispersal of knowledge has raised the level of all oval racing across the sport.

If AI over the years existed for your private personal use Bob you could have had it sort thru everyone's input keeping racing secrets offered for sale by you or to be passed on to a paying group of racers.

I'd like to try it but I don't think I'm ready for it and I don't think I have a need for it currently.
I could see it in the past helping me pass the many certifications and online schooling I was required to take.
I don't see how it possibly could have benefited my learning only making passing tests easier.

Other then for entertainment or just to try I don't know how it would be useful being there/they/the powers to be are telling us it is not necessarily accurate?

... Bob, what are you thinking you might use it for?

Last edited:
All the above thunkin and bs means to me ...

... I guess I'm going to have to try it to see what I might use it for.
proly you too per the question you posed ???

I just asked Bard "What is the best oil for internal combustion engines", and this was it's response.
Seems a bit generic, but really not all that bad considering the question was pretty generic to begin with.

The best oil for internal combustion engines is a synthetic oil. Synthetic oils are made from man-made chemicals that are designed to be more durable and efficient than conventional oils. They can also flow better at low temperatures, which is important for cold-weather driving.

Here are some of the best synthetic oils for internal combustion engines:

• Mobil 1 Extended Performance: This oil is designed to last up to 15,000 miles between oil changes. It is also formulated to protect against wear and tear, and to improve fuel economy.
  • AmazonBasics Full Synthetic High Mileage Motor Oil: This oil is a good value for the price. It is formulated for high-mileage vehicles, and it helps to reduce engine noise and vibration.
  • Castrol GTX: This oil is a popular choice for many drivers. It is formulated to provide good protection against wear and tear, and it is available in a variety of viscosities.
  • Shell Rotella T6 Diesel Engine Oil: This oil is specifically designed for diesel engines. It is formulated to protect against wear and tear, and to improve fuel economy.
  • Quaker State Synthetic Blend: This oil is a good option for drivers who are looking for a more affordable synthetic oil. It is formulated with a blend of synthetic and conventional oils, and it provides good protection against wear and tear.
It is important to note that the best oil for your vehicle will depend on the make, model, and year of your car. You should always consult your owner's manual to determine the recommended oil type and viscosity.

Here are some of the factors to consider when choosing an oil for your internal combustion engine:

• Viscosity: The viscosity of an oil refers to its thickness. Oils with a higher viscosity are thicker and provide better protection against wear and tear. However, they can also be more difficult to start an engine when it is cold. Oils with a lower viscosity are thinner and flow better at low temperatures. However, they may not provide as much protection against wear and tear.
  • API Service Rating: The API Service Rating is a standard that measures the performance of motor oils. The higher the API Service Rating, the better the oil will perform.
  • ACEA Service Rating: The ACEA Service Rating is a European standard that measures the performance of motor oils. The higher the ACEA Service Rating, the better the oil will perform.
  • Price: Oil prices can vary widely. It is important to find an oil that fits your budget.
I hope this helps!

I have recently seen it used to draft up contracts for drivers/teams, as well as engine rentals and other things. Pretty useful in that manner. Not sure if it would hold up in court, but better than trying to do it yourself.

This time I entered "In a racing motor, what happens if camshaft timing is retarded"
Not bad, I think better than I could do.

Retarding the camshaft timing in a racing motor can have a number of effects, both positive and negative.

• Increased top-end power: Retarding the camshaft timing can increase top-end power by allowing the intake valve to stay open longer during the intake stroke. This allows for more air and fuel to be drawn into the cylinder, which can lead to increased power output at higher engine speeds.
  • Reduced low-end power: Retarding the camshaft timing can reduce low-end power by reducing the amount of time that the intake valve is open during the intake stroke. This can lead to a loss of power at lower engine speeds, as the engine is not able to draw in as much air and fuel.
  • Increased engine noise: Retarding the camshaft timing can increase engine noise. This is because the valves are opening and closing at different times, which can cause the engine to vibrate more.
  • Increased wear and tear on the engine: Retarding the camshaft timing can increase wear and tear on the engine. This is because the valves are opening and closing at different times, which can put more stress on the valvetrain.
Overall, whether or not to retard the camshaft timing in a racing motor depends on a number of factors, including the type of engine, the desired power output, and the intended use of the vehicle. In general, retarding the camshaft timing can be a good way to increase top-end power, but it is important to weigh the potential benefits against the potential drawbacks.

Here are some additional things to consider when retarding the camshaft timing in a racing motor:

• The type of engine: Some engines are more sensitive to camshaft timing than others. For example, V8 engines are typically more sensitive to camshaft timing than four-cylinder engines.
  • The desired power output: If you are looking to increase top-end power, then retarding the camshaft timing may be a good option. However, if you are looking for a more balanced power curve, then you may want to avoid retarding the camshaft timing.
  • The intended use of the vehicle: If you are planning on using the vehicle for street driving, then you may want to avoid retarding the camshaft timing. This is because retarded camshaft timing can increase engine noise and wear and tear. However, if you are planning on using the vehicle for racing, then retarding the camshaft timing may be a good option.
If you are considering retarding the camshaft timing in your racing motor, it is important to consult with a qualified engine builder or tuner to ensure that you are making the right changes for your specific application.
"In an internal combustion engine, what is the optimum cylinder wall to piston clearance for maximum performance?"
Again, pretty darn good.

The optimum cylinder wall to piston clearance for maximum performance is typically between 0.002 and 0.004 inches (0.05 and 0.10 mm). This allows for enough space for the piston to expand as it heats up, without creating too much friction. If the clearance is too tight, the piston can seize in the cylinder, causing serious damage. If the clearance is too loose, the piston can lose compression, which will also reduce performance.

The exact amount of clearance required will vary depending on the engine design, the type of piston and cylinder materials, and the intended use of the engine. For example, a high-performance engine that will be subjected to high temperatures and loads will need a slightly looser clearance than a stock engine.

It is important to check the piston to cylinder clearance regularly, especially if the engine is used for racing or other high-performance applications. A loose clearance can be caused by wear, so it is important to have the engine rebuilt if the clearance becomes too large.

Here are some of the factors that affect the optimum cylinder wall to piston clearance:

• Engine design: The type of engine, such as inline, V-style, or boxer, will affect the amount of clearance required.
  • Piston material: Cast pistons typically require a tighter clearance than forged pistons.
  • Cylinder material: Cast iron cylinders require a tighter clearance than aluminum cylinders.
  • Engine temperature: The higher the engine temperature, the looser the clearance needs to be.
  • Engine load: The higher the engine load, the looser the clearance needs to be.
If you are not sure what the optimum cylinder wall to piston clearance is for your engine, it is best to consult with a qualified mechanic.
"Retarding the camshaft timing can increase top-end power by allowing the intake valve to stay open longer during the intake stroke."
Don't think this is exactly right, the only thing that would allow the intake to stay open longer during the stroke would be increased duration.
I'm thinking the end results with AI could depend on a working knowledge of the subject. Still, it does a lot of the 'grunt' work really quick.

Way off subject probably but I have an "AI" app on my phone I never knew about and it did this. Thought it was really cool. Probably old tech but I'm blown away.

Attachments

• 1000002131.jpg
    1000002131.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 1000002133.jpg
    1000002133.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 22
  • 1000002132.jpg
    1000002132.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 25
Yeah I think that its primary application to the average person is just generating filler in emails and other writing tasks. I see it in a lot of ways equivalent to the introduction of personal calculators in math. It's also been pretty powerful as a tool for programmers, I know for sure chat gpt can write several different programming languages. Im not for sure about bard. I'm sure real programmers have more advanced and powerful tools. Another cool feature is you can plugin large blocks of text and have it summarize it for you.

Just tried Bard and my question is:​

How can you not like it?
ain't scared no more ... :)

how is camber used on an oval race car​

Camber is the angle of the tire, measured in degrees, from vertical. Positive camber means the top of the tire is tilted away from the car, while negative camber means the top of the tire is tilted towards the car.
On oval race cars, camber is used to improve cornering grip and stability. Negative camber on the right-side tires (the outside tires in a left-hand turn) helps the car turn more sharply and reduces the risk of the tires losing grip and sliding. Positive camber on the left-side tires (the inside tires in a left-hand turn) helps the car maintain its balance and prevents it from rolling over.
The amount of camber used on an oval race car varies depending on the track, the car, and the driver's preferences. In general, more camber is used on high-banked tracks, where the cars are traveling at higher speeds. Less camber is used on low-banked tracks, where the cars are traveling at lower speeds.
Camber is also adjusted during a race as the tires wear. As the tires wear, they become more flat-spotted, which reduces their grip. Adding camber helps to restore some of the lost grip.
Camber is an important part of tuning an oval race car. By adjusting the camber, a driver can improve the car's handling and make it more competitive.
Here are some of the benefits of using camber on an oval race car:
  • Improved cornering grip
  • Reduced risk of tire slippage
  • Improved stability
  • Increased top speed
Here are some of the drawbacks of using camber on an oval race car:
  • Increased tire wear
  • Reduced straight-line stability
  • Increased risk of tire blowouts
Overall, camber is a valuable tool that can be used to improve the handling and performance of an oval race car. However, it is important to use camber wisely and to adjust it as needed to ensure that the car is safe and competitive.

If you use it a lot and because I think it stores stuff locally on your pc, might it fill up your hard drive if you don't often delete locally?

Wild . Kinda the new encyclopedia Britannica.
Interesting, although apparently im behind the curve as usual.

As a current engineering student, I can tell you, colleges are scared out of their shorts right now.

They are finding ways to detect for AI, or trying to, but it is very very expensive, and never 100%. AI is generally smart enough that if two people type in the same questions, the responses will not be 100% the same, thus plagiarism is nearly impossible to detect.

So far what I have seen is that many of my writing assignments have become ones that are timed, recorded, and copy/paste is turned off to avoid any possibility of AI being used. Only one problem, the AI is at times and with the right operator, smarter than the "AI" blockers.

AI has a massive upside, however it has even greater downsides. Most people already struggle to write coherently, AI will only make that worse. Research is becoming more difficult to get funding for because AI can find all of the answers faster than we as humans can.

We have officially begun automating most office, teaching, technology, research, legal, etc. jobs.

AI cannot make logic based decisions at this point yet.... Yet.... thus problems where the data supports an equal outcome can not be decided by AI.

I personally believe we are headed back to a working class that is no longer in offices, but rather only maintaining, designing, and installing machines.

I worked for IBM fixin stuff for 40+ years and I'm guessing about 20 years ago IBM had a lay off of it's most highly rated and probably highest paid tech both hardware and software. ... not me ... :)
I was always only so so good and worked cheap.

What those laid off (resourced) were told was though you are highly skilled technically in your job supporting our customers, "We don't need highly skilled field people anymore." It was not about having too many it was about not needing them.

The past is here again.
The difference is now "They" will not need highly skilled people and those who know a lot. ... :(

usetabe with a large company you could find a nitch so you could be very valuable because others did not know about your expertise and if they learned about it they found out to do it you had to know a lot of stuff about it, which was hard to come by.
... the niches are gone or soon will be because AI will make all able to know and use what before was little known.

Last edited:
I have recently seen it used to draft up contracts for drivers/teams, as well as engine rentals and other things. Pretty useful in that manner. Not sure if it would hold up in court, but better than trying to do it yourself.
Any contract written and legally signed by all parties involved is a legal binding contract. No matter who wrote it. Would be a good idea to get signatures Notarized.
I am not that smart about legal stuff So I cheated and asked my wife who just happens to type contracts for a lawyers office and she says 90% of all contracts are usually just ordinary forms filled out. She just puts in the names and specifics and the computer spits out the contract ready to sign. When notarized they are perfectly legal ,

According to judge milian .
Verbal contracts are binding if both admit thats what was agreed upon .
Obviously written , and signed even better . ;)

This time I entered "In a racing motor, what happens if camshaft timing is retarded"
Not bad, I think better than I could do.

"In an internal combustion engine, what is the optimum cylinder wall to piston clearance for maximum performance?"
Again, pretty darn good.

"Retarding the camshaft timing can increase top-end power by allowing the intake valve to stay open longer during the intake stroke."
Don't think this is exactly right, the only thing that would allow the intake to stay open longer during the stroke would be increased duration.
I'm thinking the end results with AI could depend on a working knowledge of the subject. Still, it does a lot of the 'grunt' work really quick.
Interesting, AI answered your question by calling it a "racing motor." Can we get the other AI programs to argue with this one over that?

I've got to figure that its answers are based on popularity rather than truth. It would be a neat experiment to find a topic that is well known to be "myth busted" and see what it has to say or have 11 people enter an incorrect answer and 1 person offer the correct one and see what it does. From my limited understanding, that's how reddit started out and TikTok adopted their "popular is true" concept.

Interesting, AI answered your question by calling it a "racing motor." Can we get the other AI programs to argue with this one over that?

I've got to figure that its answers are based on popularity rather than truth. It would be a neat experiment to find a topic that is well known to be "myth busted" and see what it has to say or have 11 people enter an incorrect answer and 1 person offer the correct one and see what it does. From my limited understanding, that's how reddit started out and TikTok adopted their "popular is true" concept.
Isn't artificial intelligence an oxymoron?

A computer can only do what it's programming tells it.
The basis for any answers must come from some where. So, the answers can be manipulated by the pool of information the computer has available to base its answers from.

True intelligence makes decisions in the same way.

The old "garbage in, garbage out" scenario.

That was from Google's Bard. Unlike ChatGTP, which had it's learning cut off in 2021 and has no search capability, Bard's database is from Google's incessant crawling of web pages and does have access to Google's search Al Gore Rythmn. :) (algorithm)
I believe Bard has the ability to summarize a long web presentation, like the full text of a bill on one of the .gov sites.
For example:
Input- Can you summarize the content at https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/645/text
Answer-
Sure. The Healthy Foundations for Homeless Veterans Act of 2023 (H.R. 645) is a bill that was introduced in the House of Representatives on January 19, 2023. The bill would authorize the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to provide grants to nonprofit organizations to provide supportive housing and other services to homeless veterans. The bill would also authorize the Secretary to establish a pilot program to provide rental assistance to homeless veterans who are transitioning from inpatient or residential treatment for mental health or substance abuse disorders. The bill was passed by the House of Representatives on February 2, 2023, and is currently pending in the Senate.
Here are some of the key provisions of the bill:
  • The bill would authorize the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to provide grants to nonprofit organizations to provide supportive housing and other services to homeless veterans.
  • The bill would also authorize the Secretary to establish a pilot program to provide rental assistance to homeless veterans who are transitioning from inpatient or residential treatment for mental health or substance abuse disorders.
  • The bill would require the Secretary to report to Congress on the implementation of the bill and the effectiveness of the programs authorized by the bill.
The bill is supported by a number of veterans' organizations, including the American Legion, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, and the Disabled American Veterans. The bill is also supported by a number of mental health and substance abuse organizations, including the National Alliance on Mental Illness and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
The bill has been opposed by some Republicans, who argue that it is too expensive and that it would not be effective in reducing homelessness among veterans. However, the bill has been supported by a majority of Democrats, who argue that it is a necessary investment in the health and well-being of veterans.
The bill is currently pending in the Senate. It is unclear whether the bill will be passed by the Senate and signed into law.

Back