Axle location

FULLOFQUESTIONS

What should I expect if...At corner entry then exit/?

1. Have axle in rear postion?

2. Have axle in standard position?

3. Have axle in forward position? closest to front of kart.

I have tried this a few times. its mind boggling, but from what I experienced more the axle back farther from the driver helped the kart rotate at corner entry. at center off the kart wanted to drive up the track. Moving the rear axle in closer to the driver actually made the kart turn better from apex out. My thinking of this was the opposite until ive tried it a few times. Has anyone else tried this?

"I have tried this a few times. its mind boggling, but from what I experienced more the axle back farther from the driver helped the kart rotate at corner entry."

"at center off the kart wanted to drive up the track."

Before I reply there are two kinds of adjustments you can make. One is a permanent change and will stay that way through entry, mid corner, exit and the straight. The second kind of adjustment is more mechanically and can change things more at one part or the track then another.

Those two things changing together tells me, first the RR had too much load on it during entry. Moving the axle forward permanently removed load from the RR moving some to the LR, allowing the LR to get more braking action because of the load shift to it while decelerating. The end result was you got you more rotation going in. And because the load was shifted to permanently stay on the LR with less for the RR on acceleration, the RR didn't have enough load to be able to out accelerate the LR and it wanted to drive up the track. Wanted to means you had enough turn up front, were able to over come the direction the rears wanted to go and there was still enough grip in the back that you didn't get loose off. I'd say the other problem it created is it tightened up the kart and you slowed not because you had to slow down to keep it in control, but it just at hp.

or not, but it was fun to think on and thanks for the fun

paul

hummmm... If I was sort of correct, i'll bet your next question is if I need more rotation going in and it's because of not enough load on the LR going in or too much on the RR going in, how do I fix it without effecting exit. ... :)

heck I don't know. ... :)

Two things; I don't know what the rule is now, but in the past the minimum wheelbase was 40 inches. 40 inches will turn quicker than 41 inches. And so on and so forth. I have no idea why that rule was made.

Moving the axle forward will shift your weight balance. More weight on the rear axle. Of course you can adjust for that. When I built my karts I had the wheelbase at 42 – 42 1/2. Just because there's a minimum doesn't mean the minimum is better. The fact that you can shorten the wheelbase doesn't mean you should. Of course it doesn't mean you shouldn't either.

It's called tuning, and tuning is tough. (Al Nunley)

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Hmm more rotation going in, More LF camber. Tighten the seat bolts. Reverse air split across the front. ... your going way off your own subject with your post. ... :)

I thought your question was about moving the axle. Now your answering your own question restricted to the axle, by expanding it to other ways to cause the operation of the axle to change. Are you asking about what moving the axle does or asking to see how many things we can come up with, that will alter the operation of the axle?

ya know, good questions got me thunkin again.

I have a short answer. ... :)

Axle location forward or back sets the potential to increase or decrease the speed at which the chassis operates, depending on where the COG(center of gravity) is located and how much weight is biased down in the hypothetical hole at the LR area. Move it forward equally on each side to increase potential and back to decrease potential.

And it doesn't matter if it's an LTO chassis, a sprint chassis or a race car.

If you are referring to RR lead / lag I believe it controls mostly how much weight transfers to RR. how fast or slow is dependent on where you have your pill and or cassette turned. In most cases with karts LR is fixked for up and down.
RR back i believe slows the transfer to RR? RR forward speeds it up? In cars RR back helps entry and center but you should be loose off. Forward will give a snug felling all throughout the corner.
Most newer style cars im thinking modifieds have springer bars on RR trailing arms. on accel it will pull the RR back to help the car turn center or. Opposite on decel it will stay square or pull forward on entry.
With a solid axle in the Karts and the RR lagged back in theory it should help turn in speed and center speed? but you may have trouble being loose off? But i also think off will have to do with where your RF is located for wheelbase if the RF is lead or lagged.
By theory longer RS wheelbase then LS should turn better but is to much to much?

Back