axle softness chassis set up

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
ok, been surfing around looking at old post for some set up info.
when I get my kart, it will have caster camber adjustments in the front... I understand the principals of that, however, being a fixed axle rear end without springs and spring adjuster's to change wedge.. is it done only by raising and lowering the axle bearing location and moving the wheels in and out on the axle. hit me with some good stuff guys.. thanks! oops, im going to be a pavement guy... sorry wrong section.. but maybe can get good info here too,

Last edited:
Never change the axle height from where it suppose to be, all the testing is done by the manufacterer before release of that chassis to see where it needs placed.
I never move the wheels in or out, once you have the correct set up in the kart, everything else is just tires, this is with dirt.

Never change the axle height from where it suppose to be, all the testing is done by the manufacterer before release of that chassis to see where it needs placed.

That's not quite an accurate statement. Adjusting cross by changing the axle height is not really a good idea. Adjusting VCG (IMO) is a very valid and much easier than moving the seat up/down or continually adding left % - again, that's my opinion (why would a company like Phantom sell a pile of different pills to move their axle placement?). To me it didn't take very long to realize that if you start jacking your corner weights around, that your front end alignment was more than likely going to be comprimised. Front end alignment is least affected by rear VCG changes made by changing the framerail height in equal increments.

That's not quite an accurate statement. Adjusting cross by changing the axle height is not really a good idea. Adjusting VCG (IMO) is a very valid and much easier than moving the seat up/down or continually adding left % - again, that's my opinion (why would a company like Phantom sell a [/B]pile of different pills to move their axle placement?). To me it didn't take very long to realize that if you start jacking your corner weights around, that your front end alignment was more than likely going to be comprimised. Front end alignment is least affected by rear VCG changes made by changing the framerail height in equal increments.

It doesnt move the axle placement, it moves the frame.

That's not quite an accurate statement. Adjusting cross by changing the axle height is not really a good idea. Adjusting VCG (IMO) is a very valid and much easier than moving the seat up/down or continually adding left % - again, that's my opinion (why would a company like Phantom sell a pile of different pills to move their axle placement?). To me it didn't take very long to realize that if you start jacking your corner weights around, that your front end alignment was more than likely going to be comprimised. Front end alignment is least affected by rear VCG changes made by changing the framerail height in equal increments.

Where did i ever mention anything about cross?

VCG vertical center of gravity? so best to set my rear frame height, then adjust the front end height with shims, caster, camber, moving the rear axle right or the wheels in and out on the axle, will this give me better turning?

Mostly what I see is start off with things in the stock location. Get the kart close using other adjustments. Play with axle location if you want to. If you find a better place then run it there if not leave it stock. On ovals I don't see many people at all working with axle stiffness or location to tune the kart. On sprint, it's a different story.

Todd
www.dynamicsofspeed.com

Back