Bad night at the track!

jacobsdad

Not a good way to end our season. Championship night at the track. My daughters kart handled better than ever, then she blew her engine. Has a 2 inch hole in the block. This is her second engine in a month! This one only had about 4 nights on it.
My son did good as usual in his heat race, but his feature did not go well at all. An aggressive driver took him out before the green flag dropped. This kid has caused damage to his kart 3 times this season while under yellow flags, and took him completely out of a race once under a yellow flag. He is an aggressive driver, and a bully on the track. Every other driver has filed complaints about this kid with the track officials. Tonight during the pace laps he started ramming my son. I have no problem with bumper to bumper contact on a pace lap, but this kid was beside my son. He was swerving to the side and side swiping my sons kart. On turn 3 and 4 right before the green flag dropped he came down hard and shoved my son to the bottom of the track onto the berm. This little stunt cost us a spindle, a wheel, and 2 body panels. What was worse is it sent my son to the emergency room. He is not hurt bad, just bruised up bad. So, neither of my kids finished their feature races for the night. But it was a great season! My daughter got in 4 races for her first season and has found a new addiction. My son for his second season ended in second place in points.

I have seen a black flag in the flag stand, never seen it waved. We complained about this kid a few weeks ago. Actually, the same week we complained every other parent in this class also complained. The track officials had a talk with the kid and he improved for a week. He has hit my son many times while under a yellow flag, two times has taken him out of the race by wrecking him under a yellow. Once he even hit my son under a red flag and caused damage to our rear bumper. I guess that is how you take out a faster driver and guarantee yourself a 3rd place trophy. I understand that kids learning to race will bump and bang into each other on the track, but under a yellow before the race starts? There is no excuse for that other than being a bully and trying to take out the faster kart. Even if the flagman did not see the dozen or more times this kid sideswiped my son during the pace laps, they should have seen when he pushed him off the track into the berm. But the flag man is human and missed it. They are generally good at their job.

Teach your son to tap the brake and catch his left rear tire when he is sideswiping him...he will learn real quick not to do it again. Hate to say it but this is sometimes what it takes to teach someone a lesson when nobody else is willing to do anything about it and you dont have many choices on where to race locally or close to home. Id tell the officials one more time to either handle it or your son will handle it himself, and see if they dont do something

The aggressive kid was dropping back and putting the nose of his kart into the side of my sons kart. After Friday night my sons kart has new cracks around the mounting bolts where the body bolts to the nerf bars. Those breaks were not there before the feature race started, so he was hitting him hard enough to break the body around the bolts.
Nothing we can do about it now, next season they should be in different classes so he shouldn't be a problem. There will always be that one driver on the track that runs rough, but this kid was out of control. Bumping and banging under a green flag is one thing, ramming around under yellow is something else.
Last year he raced against a kid that targeted him. He would come off of the corners high then slow down and wait for my son to come under him, then he would shoot down from the wall into my son. My son got mad and said he was going to put him out of the race, I told him he is never allowed to hit another kart intentionally. Anger is not allowed on the track, BUT I showed him how to pit him if he felt the need. The next race my son did just that, when he hung up at the rail waiting to come down my son hit the brakes then darted up under him when he was coming down at him. He spun him then went on to beat him. That was the last time that happened.

Back