Bad track management at Spokane

I am 66 years old and have been kart racing for over thirty years. Started on pavement and then went to dirt. raced at most of the big tracks in the South. Now moved back to the State of Washington and they have one dirt track in Spokane. Every time we go there they never start on time, always think they have to have the track perfect for racing. Run one heat then then water. Run another heat then water. Of course you are waiting between the watering so it will dry out. Last night there was only 9 karts total including the kids. 4 in the kids and 5 in the adults. We are suppose to start at 7. Well it was 1:00 and they still had not run the main yet. We have a 3 hour drive back to where we live. The second issue is we know people are cheating because some of even admitted it that they are shaving the heads, which is a rule violation. Really thinking about not going back. The track of course is run by a club, and we are the outsiders. They use to have 30 karts showing up in the adult class racing but they cannot understand why no one wants to race anymore. Tried to talk to their president but they will not listen. And of course one of the cheaters is one of the head officers of the club. Tired of running legal and not having a chance to win. When at the start the same two karts pull everyone by two lengths and pull away from you like your standing still, you know something is wrong. I took second place and they immediately confiscated my motor and teched it. I passed. Last night ran a 196cc motor against the predators and of course I knew they would pull me but then they complained that our exhaust sounded different than the others. No pipe rule. How would some of you approach this.

yea we have some local tracks here that are big soap operas also... but we do have a choice several tracks within 2 1/2 to 3 hours from us. I had a chance to run one of the tracks a couple of years ago got ready to do it and was going to throw money races only and with a good tech guy and run 0 point races. The trouble with the track is everyone is worried about everyone else and there is some whinning problems it is hard to pass there and if you bump someone in a corner or rub on them there is a sea of complaining from the person that got passed. I would hate to see these people go to a major event when there is 15 plus karts racing in any given class they would be in a rude awaking. There would be no 3 hours of practice at the track if I ran it and would not be 45minutes of intermission either......................

I am 66 years old and have been kart racing for over thirty years. Started on pavement and then went to dirt. raced at most of the big tracks in the South. Now moved back to the State of Washington and they have one dirt track in Spokane. Every time we go there they never start on time, always think they have to have the track perfect for racing. Run one heat then then water. Run another heat then water. Of course you are waiting between the watering so it will dry out. Last night there was only 9 karts total including the kids. 4 in the kids and 5 in the adults. We are suppose to start at 7. Well it was 1:00 and they still had not run the main yet. We have a 3 hour drive back to where we live. The second issue is we know people are cheating because some of even admitted it that they are shaving the heads, which is a rule violation. Really thinking about not going back. The track of course is run by a club, and we are the outsiders. They use to have 30 karts showing up in the adult class racing but they cannot understand why no one wants to race anymore. Tried to talk to their president but they will not listen. And of course one of the cheaters is one of the head officers of the club. Tired of running legal and not having a chance to win. When at the start the same two karts pull everyone by two lengths and pull away from you like your standing still, you know something is wrong. I took second place and they immediately confiscated my motor and teched it. I passed. Last night ran a 196cc motor against the predators and of course I knew they would pull me but then they complained that our exhaust sounded different than the others. No pipe rule. How would some of you approach this.

I'm a track owner, all I ask is for people to come to me first then it's up to me, you should not have to talk to them more than twice, sounds like you know your not gonna get anywhere but it's the only dirt game in town you need to ask yourself, is the 3 hr trip and frustration worth the trip do I just want to race dirt because of the thrill no matter where I finish, or do I need to win some to totally be satisfied, unfortunately this is how most deals run by clubs end up, sounds like IF there were more options it would be easy just go else where, we start at 7pm and always done by 11pm with as many as 70 entries and 12 classes, now were drawing less and done by 9:30 pm so ya for that few karts that's nuts, Maybe go back to racing pavement.

Good Luck !!

Yes there is a lot of whining, and all of the guys that race there have never raced any where else. I agree about if there was over 15 karts in a class they would be in for a rude awakening if there was a little bumping or moving you if you didn't get out of there way. One driver protested me because the heat race I had the pole position on the start, we started and I moved up to make the turn, he said I tried to put him into the wall, but he was also making a move to pass on the outside on the start. He got mad and put his kart up and didn't race anymore that night. I love to race, and being a retired coach of forty years, yes I am a competitor. I like to win as much as any guy out there. But at the same time do not want to cheat. Like one of the competitors said he is shaving his head, every one is doing it, and if I want to win then I need to do it also, but if I beat him he will claim my motor. The officers do not want to do anything with the cheaters of fear of loosing more karters, but the fact is they lost all the real people who want to race but have a even chance like the rules were intended to do for every one. Yes I have some thinking to do, I know the cheaters cannot beat me with a legal kart, but do I build a illegal motor, beat them at there own game, sell my own standards and know that I was cheating. I knew a lot of coaches who wanted to win at any cost, but they never seemed to be able to stay in one place very long, and also never had a consistant winning program. Have some thinking to do before the next race, yes it is the only game around till next year and we and some guys are planning to build a track here.

Dew Dawg, I see you know Jimmy Rivers in Augusta, he taught me about set ups when we first started dirt in SC. Great guy and now is still giving me tips on building the Predators. A fantastic engine builder, great kart racer himself, and wish him good luck with his new shop and expansion.

Dew Dawg, I see you know Jimmy Rivers in Augusta, he taught me about set ups when we first started dirt in SC. Great guy and now is still giving me tips on building the Predators. A fantastic engine builder, great kart racer himself, and wish him good luck with his new shop and expansion.

He sure is.. wish I lived closer to him down there..

Immediately getting pulled one or 2 kart lengths on the starts can be tires or clutch...most dont realize this but it really is true. A set of tires that fire off right on the starts along with a clutch that is set up properly for your motor will jump out a couple karts on the start and keep pulling farther away as the race goes on when you have the tires right....even more likely when your competition doesnt have their clutches set up just right and doesnt hit the tires right or fire off the tires right. Dont be one of those who assume you are getting beat by cheaters just because you get beat on the starts by a kart length or 2. Make sure your clutch is engaging at peak torque and isnt worn out first, then make sure you are on the right tires, air, and prep so your tires are firing off on the starts. If that still doesnt help, and the track is not willing to do anything about the cheaters, then its time to start shaving your heads and beating them at their own game. I know how it feels, i have had to run at tracks like this before because there arent many tracks to choose from where i live and race. I keep a spare motor on hand just for tracks like that, because i know my tire program is not a problem and i know how to set up my clutches where they need to engage. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do

Yes I thought of exactly what you said. I have a good tire program, good prep and they fire immediately. New clutch because we all have to have drums, and it engages exactly where it is suppose to and no slip. One guy told me he was shaving his head and I should do the same. Time to think. When I first arrived at this track I ran away now all of a sudden they run away from me. Of course I am not racing for points for the year, means nothing to me to be club champion. But they act like it is the indy 500 OR SOMETHING.

You are 66 years old but sound like you are in good shape. Build your own track close to your home. Start on time. Finish on time. Families with young kids need to get home at a reasonable time. Start with a small track designed to expand later if it is successful. You might not have time to race at your own track but at least your community will have a nice, well-run track. I run rifle matches. I was not happy with the local rifle club. I built my own rifle range. We are successful with it.

Build your own track close to your home. Start on time. Finish on time. Start with a small track designed to expand later if it is successful. You might not have time to race at your own track but at least your community will have a nice, well-run track. .
You should actually consider this. Your NOT the only one that is fed up with the club track if its being run the way you claim. There will be racers looking for a place to run. You could try to become a major part in the club run track and get it into shape OR start your own deal OR quit. IF you decide to help straighten out the club track, like racing promotor said, approach them in the best non-confrontational way possible. If it doesn't work, you will have to explore other options. Starting your own deal is not an easy task but possibly the best option. Good luck.

The property we have, the gentleman that also wants to build the track has a paving company so the machinery is there with everything we need. I have talked to the president, and I agree it is to late to keep kids out that late, Also tried to tell him to start earlier, thinks the track has to be immaculate every race. I will keep trying to influence the people there, but they have never seen a good track run properly, so it is the blind leading the blind. Hard to educate the ignorant. I think when we build the track this winter and it is run good, they will see what they are suppose to do. The new track will be in Richland Washington, out by Horn Rapids close to where the landfill is. No disturbance to neighbors and people. What the cost will be is something we have not gotten to yet. Rules will be simple, and something we can tech and keep in control. One thing is we will not have a claimer rule. I think this is the most ridiculous rule tracks have now. The person who cannot build a motor has to rely and an engine builder to build one or buy one from a reputable builder. Who wants to buy a motor for their son or themselves for $550 to $600 and then have someone claim it for a measely $200. If you think someone is cheating then protest them. Cheaters will be banned from our track for the season they are caught. That is a definite. If winning means everything to you that you have to cheat, then our track will not be the place for those people. It should be fare for everyone. There is a learning curve for some, but they should know they stand a even chance. This in my opinion keeps racers coming back. If they see progress then they will be excited to come back, but if they get the doors blown off of them by cheaters, and the track does nothing about it, then they kill the newbees who want a fighting chance. My opinions and I know this is not every ones. Any thoughts????

If you have people purchasing engines, it is possible they buy something unknowingly that does not meet the rules. Banning someone from the track for the season will cause negative feelings, especially if it is something out of their hands. If it is chemicals, in oil, fuel or tires the ban is justified, as they know what is being done. If it is engine parts/components confiscate/destroy they will incur cost, if it is repetitive then consider harsher actions.

Yes I agree with you, We have been thinking about first time confiscating the parts and if it happens again, then the ban for the year.

Back