Basement Archeology

Outrider

After 11 years in my present house, I've begun unpacking those boxes that have been sitting in the basement ever since I took them out of my race trailer and stacked them up down there. Amazing what turns up. I remember the 3/4 full can of calcium carbide, that's for miner's lamps and especially carbide cannons, and the Rajay 302B turbocharger is the remnant of a highly successful experiment in creating a fearsome street sleeper out of a '74 Honda Civic, lol. Then there are boxes with loose parts and smaller boxes in them that I have no idea where or why I ever aquired them. I have no idea where I got a box about 1.5 times the size of a shoebox that had, among other treasures like nuts and bolts and complete footpeg assemblies for an unidentified motorcycle, a cellophane envelope from Barnett with a label card identifying the three friction discs it contained as fitting several different Bultaco off road bikes, including some Sherpa models (never owned a Bul), another little box with sealing tape unbroken that the label says contains a complete engine set of rings (.010 oversize) for a 1950-1952 Triumph Thunderbird 650cc twin with either factory stock or Hepolyte pistons, another open box that contains one cylinder set in .015 over rings for an unidentified Triumph motorcycle (owned Harleys, Nortons and BSAs and a Ducati, never a Triumph), 5 valves rattling around loose, two matched pairs and one that is bigger than the rest, a couple gears that look like they come from a 1950s era Triumph motorcycle transmission in the kickstarter area, and a couple of parts that I can't even begin to identify. And I found my first compression gauge, which I haven't used in over 30 years because I switched to a leakdown testor.

Lord only knows what next week has in store - Anyone need a set of 10 over rings for a '50-52 650cc Triumph thunderbird?

I hear ya Mike. I'm still finding stuff from my move over a year ago, and think, Why the hell did I keep this stuff! I found tons of Hilborn FI stuff...nozzles, barrel valves, old hoses, etc. I even found a box that had a GM Wonder Bar radio and an old Reverberator that we used to hook up to our car radios so it would sound like it was in a barrel. Also a ton of old Briggs flathead parts, some new still in the box. I guess I need to get rid of this stuff so I can collect another 20 yrs worth of crap!

Lord only knows what next week has in store - Anyone need a set of 10 over rings for a '50-52 650cc Triumph thunderbird?[/QUOTE]
I have a collection of triumph stuff. Could use all of it. Maybe someday.

I hear ya Mike. I'm still finding stuff from my move over a year ago, and think, Why the hell did I keep this stuff! I found tons of Hilborn FI stuff...nozzles, barrel valves, old hoses, etc. I even found a box that had a GM Wonder Bar radio and an old Reverberator that we used to hook up to our car radios so it would sound like it was in a barrel. Also a ton of old Briggs flathead parts, some new still in the box. I guess I need to get rid of this stuff so I can collect another 20 yrs worth of crap!
Loved the Radio with reveber and Wolfman Jack

Well while y'all are basement, and garage diving, I'm looking for an original 1978 Ford truck AM/FM radio.
Has to be from a truck I think.

We are in the process of moving from a house where I have had stuff since 1969. Mostly junk to anyone but me but I have found some parts that I completely forgot about. I think I fall into the hoarder group. I figure someday this will be my revenge to my kids. They will have to take it all to the dump. :)

Ben Braun

Nothing wrong with being a pack rat, if you can remember you have it, and in what box you stored it. And of course you have to remember where that box is. lol

Back