Beginner - Age 33YR - What kart to buy? Where to buy?

cos.m.ros

Hello All ,

I've always enjoyed karting (rental karts) but have very little experience. I have done handful of trackdays on a motorcycle . Have experience with gears.

I currently live in Kansas.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

That's not my area of expertise.
Definatly not an lto /dirt kart.
Straight rail , margay or one of the European types.
Posting in the sprint section may yield better results.

I'd suggest finding whatever tracks are local to you and contact that promoter or club. Wait until the beginning of next season and attend some of their events. See what classes (kart/engine/weight) they run and what vendors support their events. Try to get into and entry level class that's well attended. Used equipment starting out is usually a good idea.
As flattop stated, Margay is a relatively local kart manufacturer and offers a turn key package with a Briggs LO206 engine ready to go for about $4500.
Check out their website.
But look around at your local clubs FIRST!
There is NO rush. You want to buy the right equipment the FIRST time!!! Keep asking questions!
Welcome, have fun with your search,
Clark Gaynor Sr.

i'd suggest finding whatever tracks are local to you and contact that promoter or club. Wait until the beginning of next season and attend some of their events. See what classes (kart/engine/weight) they run and what vendors support their events. Try to get into and entry level class that's well attended. Used equipment starting out is usually a good idea.
As flattop stated, margay is a relatively local kart manufacturer and offers a turn key package with a briggs lo206 engine ready to go for about $4500.
Check out their website.
But look around at your local clubs first!
There is no rush. You want to buy the right equipment the first time!!! Keep asking questions!
Welcome, have fun with your search,
clark gaynor sr.

good advice

When we got into sprint karting we bought a used chassis and then put a new LO206 on it. There are folks on the board who will sell you a new LO206 along with everything you need to mount it to a kart.

One of the fastest sprint karts currently is the VLR.
They have won a lot of big events over the last couple of years.
That's why i have become a dealer.
If you want information about them, email me at
fastermotors4@gmail.com

I'd echo the advice of the guys suggesting to buy local, or at least where you have local support for your chassis.
Margay would be an excellent choice (especially if they have an Ignite class at your local track.)
For the LO206 engine, you would do well to contact Jimbo or our shop (and others) for a complete race-ready tuned package that's ready to bolt on and have fun.
It may serve you well to befriend an experienced local racer that you can pit with or ask questions of frequently to speed up your learning curve.
We'd be glad to help you in any way that we can.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
29 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Sprint Racing. (No Oval) . What kind of kart should be eligible ?

Stick with more popular brands when it comes to chassis, like ;

Tony Kart, CRG, Birel, Top Kart, Intrepid, Praga, etc...... the list goes on. Before you purchase a kart, go to your local kart track and ask questions, most folks are cool and will point you in the right direction. I would suggest you look into the 'LO206' engine class because it's always packed full of racers both new and old, plus cheaper to maintain.

Where are you located in Kansas? We have a big organization our here in Denver and people are selling karts and parts all the time even if it's not listed. If you're more eastern there are probably closer choices but if you're Midwest or western take a look. Where are you racing? (what tracks)

https://www.thecoloradokarter.com/

Also, the link below is primarily aimed towards sprint racing whereas Bob's is mainly oval. Might have a lot more options there for karts. I know people are willing to ship as well.

https://ekartingnews.com/forums/

Back