Best bang for the buck disc clutch

Ducar 212

I'm running small block open next year, I just got a pretty powerful 236 and I need some input on what is a good place to start with a disc clutch. I've never owned one, I've heard they are high maintenance and I've always used a max torque SS clutch, but I'm in another realm of performance now. Is there any reasonable alternative to a disc clutch or I would guess not. I really don't know much here, any input would be appreciated

If your engine is as powerful as you make it sound, then you'll likely need a 3 disc clutch.
There really are no "cheap alternatives" when it comes to clutches for small block opens and the likes.
Usually I have some nice used/rebuilt 3 disc clutches in stock, but we are currently sold out.
We do have new Bully 3 disc clutches if you need. That would be my preference, but you could save some money with a Gator/Viper/Etc clutch.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

If your engine is as powerful as you make it sound, then you'll likely need a 3 disc clutch.
There really are no "cheap alternatives" when it comes to clutches for small block opens and the likes.
Usually I have some nice used/rebuilt 3 disc clutches in stock, but we are currently sold out.
We do have new Bully 3 disc clutches if you need. That would be my preference, but you could save some money with a Gator/Viper/Etc clutch.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.youtube.com
Linden, IN
765-339-4407

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.youtube.com
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
Thanks for the info, it's about 26hp, 18ft lb torque, and peaks at 8400 rpm. I've heard of bully clutches. I just have never looked to far into disc clutches. I better start looking at them. I've run a max torque SS this year at the local track and it seemed to do well, I'm betting that setting up a disc clutch right will help the kart pull out of corners etc faster...

I'd go for a 3 disk Viper based clutch with a steel basket, preferably with modified bully levers. That will be best bang for buck long run.

^ Good point on a steel basket. Aluminum will work for a while, but you'll eat through them over time and the steel will pay for itself and require less maintenance (filing.)

my brother runs a 250cc open and the rule is shoe clutch only. so he uses a noram with no problems.
I've thought about trying my max torque SS and just seeing how it does. The small block open class I will run next year is all 236cc engines as a max displacement, even though I believe some guys run the 3 inch piston.... making it a 263.....
But anyways I've thought if it does well just running it. I've run a noram clutch in the flathead days and I didn't like it, I think it just didn't grab hard enough.

Back