Best carb for modified flathead

randy2349

I'm looking for info on the best carb for my modified flathead. I'm not impressed with the Tillotson. I heard Mikuni's are good. Any input would be helpful.

I have a mikuni 24mm set up for alky flathead for sale...built by faster motors...ran 3 times before we went to an open animal. Worked good on a big valve flathead we ran.

your ability to tune the carb would be the deciding factor as which one would be better.
my choice would also be the animal carb for a modified flathead.

An animal carb is not gonna flow enough for a Modified flatty, unless it's barely modified from stock. If it's a big cam, big valve, .080 over, which is what a Mod is, an animal carb will be a restrictor for it. If you weren't impressed with a Tilly, you probably had one that was not set up correctly for what your running or the wrong Tilly. Tillotson's will work extremely well for Limited's, Modified's or Opens if done correctly. How modified is your engine? Is a Mikuni better than a Tilly? I'd say no. Both have their advantages, I think having the ability to tune on the fly is an advantage for the Tilly, the slide carb has better fuel control at part throttle but at the HP numbers of a Mod, you will be hammering the throttle off the turn anyway so no advantage for the slide till you get around 40 HP where you may want to drive it off the turn with the throttle, or in other words not going to full throttle right off the turn.

We run the animal carb with a .400 lift can, .060 piston, stock valves, stock crank, any springs. No tech on head other than valves and must remain stock in outside appearance. Carb works fine with that set up.

There is no chance that the stock An carb is even in the same ballpark as say a 348 Tilly alky carb.
Some years ago, I ran the An carb, as you are doing. During a lengthy wait between practices I put the alky Tilly on. My son/driver was watching races
while I worked on the kart.
When we started the engine, to warm in, in the pits, my son/driver thought I had changed engines....to one of our modified engines.
It's on track performance mirrored the change in the sound of the thing, when we warmed it up.
The An Walbro is a joke of a carb........a bad joke.

I have a Tilly HL348A set up for flathead limited if your interested in a good Tilly that would be ideal for your engine. Also have a Tilly HL342A that could work also, send me a message if interested. You'll make more power with a properly tuned Tilly than with anything else on that engine, no doubt

Back