Best clutch for red plate

Single disc Bully.
Or if you will be moving up soon, you might go ahead and get a 2 disc now and grow into it.
For the small plate clone stuff, there's a common problem of some clutches pulling the engine out of it's power band when it engages at peak torque. This is particularly a problem when using a 2 disc clutch when it is set up to engage "hit" very hard. This also causes the crank to flex (which can cause a whole other mess of problems - rod bearing scuff, crank breakage, etc.)
For those reasons (and others) I recommend using a single disc clutch for your application.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
28 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

The important thing, with any clutch, is that it holds the engine, while slipping, at peak torque. That torque is transferred, through the chain, to the axle. With maximum torque at the axle you have maximum horsepower at the axle. The horsepower calculation, torque X RPM / 5252.1 = HP.

On the top end, with more discs, weight and stronger springs, the clutch will hold better.

The important thing, with any clutch, is that it holds the engine, while slipping, at peak torque. That torque is transferred, through the chain, to the axle. With maximum torque at the axle you have maximum horsepower at the axle. The horsepower calculation, torque X RPM / 5252.1 = HP.

On the top end, with more discs, weight and stronger springs, the clutch will hold better.

While all of the above is factually true; functionally, you will destroy your red plate clone engine if you try to use a heavy clutch and/or aggressive engagement. Trust me, too many professional clone engine builders have told me this to be a problem for me to ignore when I am building a clutch for a customer or simply sharing info on the internet.
It's not a problem with the clutch, it's that the engine is so limited on torque (due to restrictor plate size) that it struggles to overcome the clutch. Crank flex is a real problem which results in a seized rod and/or broken crank (= catastrophic failure.) I wouldn't recommend or wish that on anyone.

If there are compromises you have to make, then you have to make them, I have no problem with that. I've never run this engine so I am unaware of the problems you speak of, thank you for the information.

While all of the above is factually true; functionally, you will destroy your red plate clone engine if you try to use a heavy clutch and/or aggressive engagement. Trust me, too many professional clone engine builders have told me this to be a problem for me to ignore when I am building a clutch for a customer or simply sharing info on the internet.
It's not a problem with the clutch, it's that the engine is so limited on torque (due to restrictor plate size) that it struggles to overcome the clutch. Crank flex is a real problem which results in a seized rod and/or broken crank (= catastrophic failure.) I wouldn't recommend or wish that on anyone.

I have a single disk black vortex and a double disk bully but neither are blue printed they both come in at 2800 but the vortex just started squealing when he takes off.

I have a single disk black vortex and a double disk bully but neither are blue printed they both come in at 2800 but the vortex just started squealing when he takes off.

SMC clutches (Vortex included) have a much more gradual engagement by design. Your single disc would be a fine choice for your engine. The squealing could be the friction disc is glazed up, or possibly something in the bearing/bushing needing maintenanced and oil.
You are welcome to send either clutch here to be rebuilt, but the Vortex is pretty simple to rebuild yourself -- I believe Tom has instructions for the DIY'er on their website.

SMC clutches (Vortex included) have a much more gradual engagement by design. Your single disc would be a fine choice for your engine. The squealing could be the friction disc is glazed up, or possibly something in the bearing/bushing needing maintenanced and oil.
You are welcome to send either clutch here to be rebuilt, but the Vortex is pretty simple to rebuild yourself -- I believe Tom has instructions for the DIY'er on their website.

Is there anything different in the new vortex black and the older 4 tab one like I got

The levers and rollers were redesigned about a year ago. There is a small performance gain.

Back