Best clutch for weight???

Not all clutches are the same. There are many good clutches available. Many are VERY "similar" with a few tweaks (color, finish, friction material) by the guy who puts his name on them, but they're still basically just a copy of the Bully. I prefer the genuine Bully clutches. I work on all brands here in our shop, so I've seen them all. Availability of parts is another reason to choose a Bully - pretty much every kart shop and trackside vendor will have parts in stock for a Bully...the knock-offs - not so much.
With all clutches (cheaper ones included); it's really how the clutch was assembled, set-up properly for your class, and maintained from race to race that is most important.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
26 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

And the Bully is a copy of the Jammer and it's a copy of the Horstman.

And your point, Tom?

While this is true, I never said that Kermit didn't use some of the technology designed by Gil and other predecessors...simply that there are currently MANY clutches being marketed under different names that are very similar in design. Yours is NOT one of them. I always appreciated that you think out of the box. :)

My point: It is disingenuous to use the term “genuine Bully clutches” when Dale Johnson (Jammer) provided all the creativity in updating the Horstman’s clutch when Gil’s patent expired in 1995. Buller came along three years after DJ and did little more than change the color of the drum. If you had said “ but they're still basically just a copy of the Jammer”, I would not have commented.

The Bully clutches are ubiquitous because Dale Johnson went bankrupt not because they’re better in some way. But the average kart racer does not know that and consequently makes uninformed decisions. In order to grow this sport, I educate racers.

So...Bullys are not "genuine?" I guess I should have used a different adjective. I prefer the (as supplied from Buller) Bully clutch.
I wonder who Gil got his ideas from? ;)

So...Bullys are not "genuine?" I guess I should have used a different adjective. I prefer the (as supplied from Buller) Bully clutch.
I wonder who Gil got his ideas from? ;)
I had a conversation with the guy who built the L&T. He told me where Gil got his idea, but that was over 30 years ago and I can't remember.

Disparaging somebody for getting an idea from somewhere else and capitalizing on it isn't nice. It's sour grapes. Jealousy that he didn't think of it 1st. I decided I did not like that guy. Gil Horstman was a genuine friend of karting. The fact that he made superior products for karting is what I base my memories of him on.

there are lots and lots of clutches out there at one time or another ive ran or used about everything from direct drive to my personal choice now .That being a Smc Vortex sngle dsc for Jr 1 and jr 2 and a 2 disc for adult classes In the 206 I use a Hillard . works well for us and remember if it dident work for our program i wouldent use it And yes we have the trophies to prove it

I didn't ask the question to start a riot (lol). I've been out of karting for about 20+yrs. Just got a kart so I could go out and race with my son. I will be running Adult clone medium and heavy El class and I just need to find a clutch that will work good for me, I see so many out there but nothing like from a while back...

Its a shame we don't get questionnaires like we used to get after National events which asked which kart, clutch, pipe, tires, etc. like they used to. It made it so easy to see what people were winning with and contributed a lot to make just such a decision Mod66 is requesting from us. But then, there aren't as many karting magazines to read that info in anymore either.

Mod66 I'm about your size and a 2-disc clutch is just fine. Personally, I use a Bully and a Vortex and like them both.

Do they have a Super Heavy class where you race? If there is good competition in those lower weight classes, at 250 lbs it's going to be hard to compete... especially in the Medium class. You can possibly get away with it on wet tracks, but on a hard fast track you'll be at a pretty good disadvantage. Good luck and have fun!... That's the most important thing.

Back