Best Engine Package for club track?

parocket

I used the term "club" to make this sound more organized than "backyard" but this track in on the back 40. Back yard or not we are looking to develop a nice racing program.

Track is a tri oval, 1/10 mile so it small but has some banking very smooth came out better than we ever thought. its most dirt, one side has some clay to it.

Today we have 6 flatheads, 1 clone, 1 predator and one Yamaha running.

The question is what is the best engine package for something like this?

With lots of flat heads we think its a good option until spending 300 to 400 bucks on rebuilds, so then we thought clones but then almost all of us need to buy new stuff and then wonder how long they will last.

I figure I can figure out how to rebuild a decent flathead, its going to take time to document everyone motor to figure out bores etc but not impossible. Plus flatheads are everywhere.

However the clone stuff looks good for easy replacement at similar cost to a rebuild.

Time and money are barriers, I have a full sized late model to work on nightly don't really want another project but don't want to waste everyone money this is just for the guys to get their race fix.

Anyone have experience or an opinion? We plan to run what ya brung this year and build a class next years but some of the guys want to get a head start.

Thanks George

FWIW,
We have several local backyard tracks to our shop.
These guys take their racing seriously, but they don't want to get into checkbook racing (seeing who has the biggest bank account.)
The tracks started out with guys that had old flatheads that they pieced together. A couple bought decent used WKA engines and waxed the field. Then came the stock appearing parts...and it escalated to the point of who can spend the most dough for a professionally built engine. The guys trying to compete on a budget would pick up used parts (big cam, long rod, etc) but would typically blow their engines sky high trying to compete with the pro-built engines. Next came the clones...(almost identical thing happened with them!) I talked a few guys into running the LO206 sealed crate engines from Briggs. Run on pump gas and make good reliable power. Seals on the bottom end stop guys from cheating them up internally, and kept everyone on a somewhat level playing field. On their small tracks, the LO206 actually outperformed much higher dollar engines and slowly the revolution was on. Today, there are probably 20-25 LO206 engines that run at various backyard tracks within 15 minutes of our shop. The original 3 LO206 engines are now 6/7 years old and are still running and still competitive! I've seen some come back through my shop for rebuilds/refresh and typically it is around $100 for a complete rebuild on an LO206 (parts & labor!) This engine package makes the most sense in my opinion for their application, and obviously they agree. These guys are having way more fun running used tires and no prepping and race just as hard as the "pro-racers" do.
I offer complete race-ready LO206 engine packages - just bolt them on and race! If you have any more questions on the LO206 crate motors OR are interested in purchasing, please feel free to contact us at our shop.

That would be my suggestion.

Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
26 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

What a tuff question. Realy need more info,to be of any help (state ,location, age groups,bugets) JMO go with the preador and a drum clutch,cheap low maint. good for diffrent age groups. There is allways one who likes to tinker to go faster thats just the way it is. JUST HAVE FUN!!

State Pennsylvania, adults most over 50, lower budgets, all having fun but its tough to race as we have varying motors. Our frustration has become the motors and which is best but we almost all have flatheads which would be almost worthless to resale .

It really won't make much difference in your case unless you want to spend money on tech, I would recommend going out and buying a group of motors, spend a few dollars on clutchs and pipes and each day you race just draw for the motors for that night. Or just keep your flatheads....

If I were in your situation, I would ask that each member... looks like 9 at this time.... each put in $100 (initiation fee, you did say its like a club) and go to Harbor Freight and pick up 9 Predator motors. At that point prep them all the same ... jetting, filters, nothing, or whatever. And then let 1 trust worthy person keep all 9 of them until time to race. Draw for a motor and go race. Do this before you grow too big and cant turn back. From this point on, each new prospect will know what they need to do for a motor and it should be competitive close racing. Charge a rental fee each week instead of a entrance fee. Use the money for oil changes and maintenance. No one ever takes a motor home or is allowed to open it up. Maybe have a spare motor or 2 for any problems or new "club members" that show up.

Interesting concept with having a pool of motors.
I assume the predator has enough power to pull a grown man around as fast as we need to go?
Any good resources for predator build up or is it all flathead stuff like mount, clutch and maybe an air fliter.

The LO206 option sounds good too, we looked at the box stock project motors as well.

Interesting concept with having a pool of motors.
I assume the predator has enough power to pull a grown man around as fast as we need to go?
Any good resources for predator build up or is it all flathead stuff like mount, clutch and maybe an air fliter.

The LO206 option sounds good too, we looked at the box stock project motors as well.

Predators with the governor removed, a PVL flywheel, and a jet change will be as bout as cheap as you can go. BSP's straight from BSP will be the 2nd cheapest option and the L206 would be 3rd cheapest. After that, you are looking at "race engine builder motors" and cost will go up from there.

A pool of motors sounds like a good idea. But cycling them to ensure someone isn't cheating sounds labor intensive... The fact of the matter is people want to go fast. I have seen several classes get ruined because someone wants to go faster. I remember when clones were literally box stock... These things never last because people will always want to go faster. That's just the racing spirit!

Back