Best shoe clutches

richie59

I have been using Max-Torque and the ARC Mongrel clutches where shoe clutch is required, which is frequent. However, I want to upgrade to the best shoe clutch I can get to improve my starts. What do you recommend? I run 375# classes, sometimes Maxxis HT or EL, sometimes Burris. Box stock clone with pretty much blueprinted everything (build my own engines), big pipe, PVL flywheel, BSP-3 cam. So what do you recommend for the best shoe clutch?

Hilliard Flame is one of the best shoe clutches out there, if not the best. Has alot of adjustability using different springs and various weights, and can easily last a couple seasons with good maintenance. They can use Bully drivers if you get the Bully conversion drum with it. I have used these clutches on everything from a stock to an open and love them

I've been researching, and that's the one I'm considering, along with having a disc clutch ready when tracks allow open clutch. Thanks for the input.

hillard is good as is a stinger.
The 2 you have should be good as well.
Are they well used and abused?
A good refresh and blueprint may be in order.

No, they've been used, not abused, and cleaned and WD-40ed frequently. I ran the Max-Torque Sat. in an open clutch Sr race, and they walked off and left me from the green flag, and I could never catch back up. I think the M-T comes in in the low 3,000s, which I believe is too low to get a fast start. Your thoughts?

yes in a open clutch class the drum is a disadvantage.
search max torque clutch think they said to cut the spring.
or talk with david martin, I know getting the drum clutchs tuned in is troublesome.
That is one advantage with the hiilard you can adjust it with weights and springs.
I think you are right 3000 is low.

3000 is way too low for any open engine, especially a clone or animal. If its the max torque, you'll have to cut coils out of the spring to stiffen it and raise the engagement, may even have to cut some off the shoes if I remember right. Its easier to just get another clutch than to try using that one for an open. I'd get the engagement closer to 3800-4200

Winner of the limited modified class at the burris fall nationals was using a max torque turning 9200 rpms walked off and left the field. Just sayin

Back