Best way to store engines for next season...

spotteddawg

Done racing for the year, have 2 Animals (one with only 20 laps on it) to store for the winter. What's the process to make sure these guys are ready to rock come spring?

Just run two stroke premix through them until the carb's dry then drain the oil. You can pour a cap full of ATF in the spark plug hole for added protection.

We like to fog the engine with WD40, Marvel Mystery Oil, etc to insure everything gets a nice oil coating. Pull the spark plug out, and spray WD40 down the cylinder. Drain the oil hot, then refill with fresh oil and turn it over a few times. Tape up the carb, fuel cap, and exhaust, and its ready to go come spring

I assume you run methanol when racing and don't know what you purge your carb with after each race event. I run wd40 through my animals and clones while engine in runnning to get rid of the methanol and 87 octane gas. Keeps gaskets and o-rings lubricated well while stored. Be sure to shake the wd40 well before using it to purge carbs and drain off excess when done.

id just fog it down wih wd40 drain all The methanol out of he tank and cap up carb and exhaust and bring in in your house or a heated are so the valves and piston doesn't freeze.

Also, make sure that where you store the engine stays at a constant temperature and is not too damp. We have to run a de-humidifier to keep our engines and even some 40mm axles from getting a little nasty sitting around for 5 months in our basement.

Back