Better Quality stock cast rod for BSP

Dale

Has anyone used one yet? Are they any better? please advise, These are the ones from BSP I'm talking about

If you're talking about the Performance cast rod, I just bought one and installed. I'll let you know ho it holds up after the 12th :)

Honestly I did not see much of a difference. BSP told me there was no difference other that the cast was forged.

google "box stock project performance rod"

See the top search item title. "Performance Cast Connecting Rod forged - Box Stock Project"

I think what he meant was that the only difference is that the cast rod is cast, and the forged rod is forged. Id also be interested in how the new forged rods hold up compared to stock and billet rods. I know it probably isnt as good as a billet one, but probably alot better off than a cast rod. From my experience with forged aluminum products, they are alot better quality than cast stuff, with nicer lines and products alltogether. Are the forged rods gonna be available in .010 over and .015 over? Would be nice to see someone come out with a .020 over rod since alot of these clone/predator engines are .025+ in the hole from the factory. I was able to get my piston up in the hole by using a HF greyhound block from a blue motor, along with a max stroke crank and rod from a BSP motor, and JT123 head from the BSP motor. My piston is about .005-.008 in the hole.

I ran them last year with no problems they looked smoother than the cast ones and a lot harder , that should make them stronger in theary.

If someone has one, weigh it on a gram scale and report back please. I bet it's quite a bit heavier than the cast rod.
Forgings are typically stamped while the cast ones are merely molten aluminum drawn into a mold by vacuum, the forging should be far better.

There is nothing that indicates to me that that is a forged connecting rod. The actual product description doesn't say "forged." The only mention of "forged" is erroneous placement in the web page title and in the meta tags. The meta tags are invisible to you, but are visible to web crawlers and are used for SEO or search engine optimization. It's a sleazy practice when the meta keywords aren't related to the product (and they frequently aren't). But lets be realistic, you're not going to get a forging for $9 retail anyway, not even a Chinese one.

I agree Shelby I had my doubts the Chinese would forge a rod just for us kart racers, but I haven't seen one yet and can't comment if it's fact or fiction.

Has anyone used one yet? Are they any better? please advise, These are the ones from BSP I'm talking about
I recieved the 1st one that i've seen and I 'will' say..."It is Not a forging"! However, it Does 'look' better and has larger radii/fillets in the corners of which makes it ez too identify. Will 'this' Help...who know's, it can't hurt! History tell's me that the problems with the 'stock' rods are Not in their 'construction', (rpm ovr 6500 excluded) but...more related too 'lubrication'! Rule change on oil return hole (.250 ref) sud/will help! JMO

There is nothing that indicates to me that that is a forged connecting rod. The actual product description doesn't say "forged." The only mention of "forged" is erroneous placement in the web page title and in the meta tags. The meta tags are invisible to you, but are visible to web crawlers and are used for SEO or search engine optimization. It's a sleazy practice when the meta keywords aren't related to the product (and they frequently aren't). But lets be realistic, you're not going to get a forging for $9 retail anyway, not even a Chinese one.
'Like'

If someone has one, weigh it on a gram scale and report back please. I bet it's quite a bit heavier than the cast rod.
Forgings are typically stamped while the cast ones are merely molten aluminum drawn into a mold by vacuum, the forging should be far better.

I have one, haven't looked at it much. I did weigh it, it showed 2 grams lighter than another rod, then I weighed another rod and it weighed 2 grams less than the new one.. Don't remember the actual number, but they appear to weigh the same.

The forging should be more dense...that's how it works if it's a real forging. The metal is heated up near melting point and placed into a massive press that stamps it into a shape. If it's the same weight it sounds like BS to me. Typically it's uglier than a cast part but far stronger, parting line is far wider on forged cranks when cherry picking a crank from a parts engine FYI.

Thanks everyone. So it sounds like its probably better, as of now hard tell how much better but probably not forged, maybe a better quality cast. I guess anything is better than nothing as far as quality goes. too dang cold to work in the garage anyway -4 right now in my area in pa. that really suck way to cold.

Dang California weather is still mid-sixties Golf'n-in-tee-shirts conditions! :) Really...I feel 4U! My grandson just 'drove' from Newark to Watertown, NY last night!!

Back