big block, when is too much power a bad thing?

Doctordollar3

I'm going to be running my first big block this year in a new class for me which has an open ohv engine rule. I run a small bullring style dirt track with smooth sticky red clay.

I will be going up against well built gx200 strokers and animals. I ran very well in my kart last year with a stock mod clone and prepped maxxis pinks and blues, but I have to run grooved dirt kart tires this year bc of the tire rule ( Hoosier d30 or burris tx33, haven't decided which ones yet).

I have already purchased a VC 460cc which they claim has 23hp to the rear wheels at a max of 5000rpms ( yet to be determined )... Since I don't have deep pockets for my kart after building my kids karts in the off season I would like some advice on what to do to be competitive in the beginning of the season...

I will be able to add 100-150 a week to the kart or engine as the season goes on. Any guys know what direction I should head first...? ( Besides left, then left again of course...)

VC 460cc specs
Stock head milled .050
36mm/31mm valves
Stock flywheel
21 degrees ignition timing
1.1:1 stamped rockers
36lb comp cam springs
Arc 4.45 rod
92mm dished piston
69mm stroke
10.5:1 compression (according to their website)
246 lift 260 duration cam
Clearanced balance shaft
Stock 21mm carb (VC does not know size of main or low speed jet)
Aftermarket air filter and adapter

(I have not decided on exhaust yet, open header or muffled..?)

Old post I know but you can never have to much hp the trick is getting all that
power to the ground.if you cant do that you will be last.setup tires and how you
drive will play a big roll on how your kart is.hp is only part of it.

Back