Big track vs short track (cross %)

ggodwin

Been talking with a couple other fellow kart dads about setup. Mainly big track 1/4 vs small track 1/10th mile. Both flat banked ovals.

This question is a general fundamental setup question.

Do you change cross going from 1/4 to 1/10 mile? (Clone Lite)

For me I’ve only been changing stagger and gearing. Basically going to 1.5” rear stagger to 1.0” or vice versa.

I’ve been competing with the front at both tracks and honestly the kart feels pretty good at both.

Ive been told that I should be lowering my 67% cross to about 63% when going to the 1/4 mile.
obviously the stagger change is effecting this some.

should I have a different setup for the big track?

It would be driver preference. If the kart feels tight or is pushing I would bring it down one washer at a time. If not, and it’s fast leave it alone. Just for note. Stagger has nothing to with the size of the track but the radius of the turns.

if he lowered the cross would that loosen or tighten his kart ?
I've heard it would tighten the kart up,, is that correct ?

Track "size" has little to do with cross in my mind. The overall "shape" of the track, (radius of the corners, corner rpm drop, circle vs oval, etc) has more to do with desired cross.
A big momentum 1/4 mile track will take more cross than a 1/10 paperclip....BUT, if that 1/10 mile track is just about a circle, I'd be on the same high cross set-up as the 1/4 mile.
Hope that makes sense to you.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com