Billet bottom end...

Ted Hamilton

Helmet Painter / Racer
Is there some particular reason that the aftermarket didn't just create a billet bottom end and keep racing the 5hp flatty up 'til today?
All the other parts were basically aftermarket...Finish the evolution and it never would have gone away? It's kinda' fun to see a resurgence in the vintage 4 cycle classes, and they can be found cheap still, but as word spreads that's changing. I always thought superstock with a "proper" carb was the best class...

You mean billet Crank ?
Briggs quit mfg the engine .
They " Briggs ,WKA ,IKF " pushed the animal , then the clone hit .
Game over .

No, billet bottom end.
iu

Well theres your answer .
Entire Billet engine .
Cost was high enough , everyone had a few engines .
Did not fit a rule package .

No, billet bottom end.
iu
Price point.
For less money, you can make more power from an ohv build.
For less money, you can build considerably more power from a larger displacement industrial engine.
For less money, you can buy a wrecked bike, pull the 250 - 450 from it and make gobs more power that'll last 100,000 miles bone stock on pump gas.

I absolutely love the flatheads, but the jr drag stuff was upwards of $5000 at a point and that's simply not sustainable -- ie even drag racers have gone the way of ohv and sealed 206 engines for reliability and cost.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I find it interesting watching the flat heads against clones. The flat heads def seem to have advantages over the Lo206 and Clones in certain areas. But Like everyone said the price is where it's a bummer. The buddy of mine that runs the flatty spends probably the most on rebuilds and trying to source parts. But nothing pulls out of the corners like it or sounds as good lol.

Remember when you could buy a NIB Bz3 block (All Bz were only ever sold as a bare block) at $500 back in '06...I do

Last edited:
I still have a brand new (in the wrapper) Edelbrock cylinder head for the BZ1 here on the shelf.
I've considered parting with it, but it just plain looks cool on display. Maybe it'll make a paper weight if I ever get my desk cleared off.

We had a stock appearing class where we ran the flats and clones together. On dirt I never seen an advantage. I had to run a darn near perfect race to where the OHV engines could power around a flub up.
I find it interesting watching the flat heads against clones. The flat heads def seem to have advantages over the Lo206 and Clones in certain areas. But Like everyone said the price is where it's a bummer. The buddy of mine that runs the flatty spends probably the most on rebuilds and trying to source parts. But nothing pulls out of the corners like it or sounds as good lol.

IMG_3243.jpeg

Back