Blistering tires (Burris)

W5R

I have a question for you guys and would like some imput on this. I race on a 1/5 mile clay track that has a little banking (9*) and usually has medium to good bite, and is rubbered up by the end of the features and is hard packed. We have an open tire rule, but pretty much everyone there is on Burris 33's, some on 22's occasionally and a couple on maxxis pink/blues. The maxxis dont really hook up too well, so the burris 33's are what im on. I have a 2012 Shatter chassis, and am blistering the inside edge of the right rear when the kart is hooked up and is fast. Normally i dont blister the inside of the tire like this, even when the kart is fast, it only does this occasionally when the kart is just flat out hooked up and on a rail, like last night. I started the feature with a RR punching 58 and was using Venom Bite Pink, after the feature i came in and the RR was peeled and blistered all the way around the inside edge, and had chords showing all the way around from the edge to about 1" towards the middle of the tire.

Numbers for the Shatter are:

46 Nose
57.5 Left
65 cross
2.75 RF camber
.5 LF camber
1 1/2" Fr stagger
1" rear stagger
Stock caster on left
One notch forward on RF caster.
39 1/2 RTW

Are my numbers what is causing the tire to blister on the RR? No other tire on the kart does this, only on the RR and only the inside edge, and usually only does it during features when the track has really good bite. I am not too soft on tires, i have used harder tires several times but am a few tenths slower on harder tires than the softer ones, so i am confident the tires are right for the conditions but am not sure if it could have been the wrong prep for conditions, would wrong prep blister the tire like this? Never really had this problem until the last few weeks, but its fast so im hesitant to change much.

This isnt a hard fast track like you see in the south, only occasionally does it get hard and fast enough to even use maxxis, firestones would be useless here. Definately not gonna go from 33's to stones lol. Guess im just gonna have to stick with 33's and keep flipping the tires every weekend when it starts peeling them, really dont wanna mess with the setup

Zach, even though its best to flip every weekend, you should be able to get 2-3 races before needing done.
Less work, then you flip and get another 3 races or so.
Harder tracks mean you go through more tire. Soft tracks arent as abrasive so tires last longer.

Blistering? or feathering?

Sounds like you are too soft for the track when it bites up to me. 55's worked down might be a better answer.

You also said it "rubbered up", yet it only occasionally bites up enough for Maxxis to work.

Doesn't sound rubbered up at all, sounds more hard and black slick. It may be laying down a prep groove, but you'll know it when a track rubbers up -- you will be on Firestones (or a well seasoned Pink) if it does.

If the 33's you've got are worn to the cords on the inside shoulder like you described, in my opinion, it's too late to flip them and get any speed out of them.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I blistered many right side 55s at Shellhammers (1/8 mi high bank high bite) it's normal with Burris... I'd flip them and run them until they gave up

Cords showing

I have the same problem on my 33s the other three tires look new I'm going to get a outlaw wheel from jt and a 44 and try that . The out law wheel is the Same both ways so you can keep flipping it.

Back