Blue Clay

Oakland Valley had some of that many yrs. back, came from the Hackensack river in N.J. In the days of treaded tires and very little preps.

What Troy said. I can remember a whole lot of years ago the dirt track in West Memphis, Arkansas had gumbo clay like that. Once it was watered down, you better have your shoes laced up tight, because that stuff would suck them right off if you walked out on the track....

What Troy said. I can remember a whole lot of years ago the dirt track in West Memphis, Arkansas had gumbo clay like that. Once it was watered down, you better have your shoes laced up tight, because that stuff would suck them right off if you walked out on the track....

LOL,i remember that

We had stock car tracks in NJ (East Windsor and New Egypt) that had the black gumbo clay, stuff was awesome and held moisture no matter how hot and sunny it was, haven't encountered it in karting yet

Has anyone ever raced on Blue Clay if so what is it like and what is a good tire to start with?

Are you making a home track with it? It's been easily available around here for 100 years from coal mining and I don't know of any track that ever used it. I think a lot of pottery has been made from it over the years. It's more like clay you buy in a crafts store then what you find on a track. I think unless it's ground and mixed well with dirt, it will tend to clump up. Ground and mixed it might be ok. What I remember playing with when a kid, was real slippery when wet. You can find it around here most anyplace there was an old coal mine and around here most everyplace there was an old coal mine. Or it might turn to hardphalt used alone if out in the sun. ... :)

Clay is Clay... Most tracks say they have clay but they don't. It's more of a Clayey Silt or Silty Clay type material. Yes there is a difference between clayey silt and silty clay. I do soils analysis for a living and couldn't tell you the amount of times I've proved someone wrong with the type of material they have on a race track. That black stuff is predominately a clay type material but it's not uncommon to have silt fines in it.

Are you making a home track with it? It's been easily available around here for 100 years from coal mining and I don't know of any track that ever used it. I think a lot of pottery has been made from it over the years. It's more like clay you buy in a crafts store then what you find on a track. I think unless it's ground and mixed well with dirt, it will tend to clump up. Ground and mixed it might be ok. What I remember playing with when a kid, was real slippery when wet. You can find it around here most anyplace there was an old coal mine and around here most everyplace there was an old coal mine. Or it might turn to hardphalt used alone if out in the sun. ... :)
Yes our home track that runs stock cars is gonna build a track for us

Back