Bracing the block??

W Lindsey

I read in another post about bracing. I didn't want to hi-jack that post so I'll ask here. Where are you guys bracing the blocks in modified builds? Lifter area? I'm in the process of gathering enough parts to build one and would like to make it as bullet proof as I can. Thanks' in advance for replies.

I picked up a lot of good ideas from Sneaks and shamelessly copy him...

000_0897.JPG

000_0896.JPG

This one is a little hard to see but it connects the case PTO flange to the head.
I found this reduced some of the stresses that loosened up my case cover.

This engine ran 2 seasons without issues once the bracing was added.
Before that I had to watch those bolts close.

000_0866.JPG

Thanks' Winston that has given me something to work with. Do you think there would be enough room to bring the brace on the flywheel end out like the pto side?
Also what is that inside a windage tray?

Personally....I believe 'sheet mat'l' support too be prone too harmonic vibration that could make things worse, instead of better. Not trying too denounce anybodies efforts, but time and testing will tell. Expensive as they are, the billet side-cover is the best approach on the PTO side. On the opposite/flywheel side, a 'plate' is needed (i've started on one) too 'joint' together the 4-holes around the crankshaft, housing a third bearing (as sneaks has done) in addition too picking up the (2) coil mounting bosses via re-configuring them and mounting the coil too the 'plate'. In my own mind, I am trying too justify the need/effort towards the stiffener support plate(s) on the front an top of the motor. I could be wrong....who knows.

Also what is that inside a windage tray?

I find that interesting as well! I have made serveral of plates/baffels such as that and they are intended too act as 'anti-sloush' plates to minimize 'oil sloush' in the crankcase, primarily on 'oneway' oval tracks. I can't say they really 'work' and i've given several units out for people to try, while No body has said they Didn't work.

got one in my engine that you sent...i don't have any issues with it in and in all truthfulness, it seems like the engine is running a little "smoother" and maybe not as hot...maybe my imagination, but i think it helps...little plate, couple of bolts, less worry.....

I picked up a lot of good ideas from Sneaks and shamelessly copy him...

000_0897.JPG

000_0896.JPG

This one is a little hard to see but it connects the case PTO flange to the head.
I found this reduced some of the stresses that loosened up my case cover.

This engine ran 2 seasons without issues once the bracing was added.
Before that I had to watch those bolts close.

000_0866.JPG

I luv it when U guys take my homemade Poboy stuff and turn it into "Design Art"...That is great

Back