brake / accelerator rod

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
I know i saw it some place before.. just can't find it.. i can just purchase 1/4 cold roll steel rod, bend and thread my self... Right??

Yes, you can use 1/4" cold rolled steel, just make sure it's good quality, your die is sharp and you have good cutting oil. It's a little difficult to get the threads straight doing it by hand. One trick is to only thread as much as you need, try to keep the threaded length to a minimum. I would not bend it, just use a clevis and jam nut at both ends and use at least a 3/32" cotter pin in your clevis pin.

Sundog

We used to use stainless 1/4" rod -- looked really cool and obviously never rusted, but talk about an absolute pain in the butt to run a die over it.
You can bend cold rolled just fine -- and you will need to on one end of the accelerator rod for sure. Clevises or heims on the brake rod will be fine.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
28 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

--

At 6'2, I've been making my own pedal rods for a long time to get comfortable in the kart.

1/4 round from any supply house, or your local ACE, Tru Value, Etc.

I cut to length, and then run the ends on a grinding stone to get a little bevel. This helps the threading die start easier. Run about 2" of thread on each end, bend as needed.

Back