brake bleeding

jstrawser

what is the recommended procedure to bleed std. rear brakes and have a good solid, full pedal ? we had good brakes and could slide the rear tires ,at speed ,, but the pedal had a lot of free travel it was almost at the bottom,, yes the MC was full of fluid just could not get all the air out. thanks .

I found the easiest way to get all the air out, assuming there are no leaks, is to put fluid into something that can pressure squirt it into the master cylinder. I used an emptied out "Real Lemon" plastic squeeze lemon. I found it fit great in the master cylinder hole. There's a plastic insert in the "Real Lemon" which I take out to clean and fill, then put back in. I never had a problem but I can see it possible to squirt the plastic insert into the master cylinder. I think it's normal design to stay in the bottle and tight fitting the bottle into the fill hole on the master cylinder, kept it in ok. But ... you luck may be different.

Someone sells a cheap brake bleed squeeze bottle ($12) with the correct fittings to screw into the MC. JC specialties sells them. It's the best, easy way to do it.

Don't forget, however you pressurize the fluid, the air won't come out of the caliper unless the bleed screw is the highest point in the system. Let it run for a while to get the air out of the brake lines too.

Sundog

It's also possible to run a tube from the bleeder back to the m/c and keep pumping pedal until there's no bubbles.....recirculating fluid, then close bleeder, top off m/c, done.

I raise the back of the kart, put small rubber hoses on the bleeders. Put the other ends of the hoses in your brake fluid container. Pump your brakes ane open the bleeders. Air will shoot out and fluid will be sucked back in to the lines.

Back