Brake disk and hub questions, flat kart.

I am currently running a 7" steel brake disk with a 4 bolt brake hub on a flat kart. We run asphalt on a 1/5 th mile track.
My question is, would there be any advantage to running a lighter hub and disk. Possibly a 6" aluminum disk and proper pads, with a 3 bolt minilite hub. Thanks
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

I personally wouldn’t run an aluminum disk. There’s a tad of weight savings with the mini light disk and hub.
Thinwall axle is the biggest weight savings.

I am currently running a 7" steel brake disk with a 4 bolt brake hub on a flat kart. We run asphalt on a 1/5 th mile track.
My question is, would there be any advantage to running a lighter hub and disk. Possibly a 6" aluminum disk and proper pads, with a 3 bolt minilite hub. Thanks
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
If you don't use the brakes much, it'll be just fine. Aluminum doesn't like heat from excessive use.
In general, kart brakes are way overkill for the speed and weight they are used with. It is VERY easy to lock up the brakes on a kart.
Smaller rotor would def. be an advantage with less rotating weight.
Personally, I'd stick with a lightened steel mini-light rotor and caliper -- still plenty of braking power for a stocker.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

If you don't use the brakes much, it'll be just fine. Aluminum doesn't like heat from excessive use.
In general, kart brakes are way overkill for the speed and weight they are used with. It is VERY easy to lock up the brakes on a kart.
Smaller rotor would def. be an advantage with less rotating weight.
Personally, I'd stick with a lightened steel mini-light rotor and caliper -- still plenty of braking power for a stocker.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Thank you for all the help Brian