Brakes question....

MaxxT Out

Right now I have the big MCP brake setup... Was wondering if I can use the mini rotor and caliper setup with my existing master cylinder setup on the kart???

It will work but you'll have less pedal travel and have to push harder to get the same braking force. Mini rotor is for Jr karts so watch for it to turn blue or just disintegrate under certain conditions.

Brakes , ahh who needs those ?

Have a mini set-up on a champ and not an issue since brake use is limited ; not sure I would want it on sprint kart where it gets quite a bit more use.

Brakes , ahh who needs those ?

Yeah really what am I thunkin'..... The reason I ask is I am making a rear pan for my kart and the bigger diameter rotor is gonna be in the way... I will just notch the pan out if the smaller rotor is a bad idea.. Thanks....

I would think it would depend on your application. On a larger track you probably would use less brake than on a bull ring or road course. Even with the smaller rotor I can still lock up the rear ; maybe a little more pedal pressure required but it still stops fine. Never had a brake issue or noticed any brake fade , I can race and it still stops me in the pits after the race so guess it works.

Almost every newer oval kart comes with a mini lite setup... There is no problem, the master cylinders for the two are different and Sudog was right, you might have a different pedal feel. Stopping power shouldn't be an issue unless you run road courses and use the brakes a lot. Bigger rotors and pads almost always equal better stopping power. But, most karts are over braked anyway.

Has anyone ever quantified any real difference between the MCP611 (1/8 x 6) and the MCP775 (3/16 x 7-3/4) rotor? I put a drill pattern on mine and I can't imagine needing anything lighter.

Sundog

Never "quantified", but physics don't lie -- lighter rotating masses accelerate faster. I've used the mini-lights as much as possible -- certain applications, obviously, don't play well with smaller rotors.

What I put on our own chassis is a combination of the larger (standard) caliper and the smaller (mini-lite) rotor.
If you are on a track that uses a lot of braking, I'd suggest sticking with the full size (diameter) rotor. I stock them in vented 1/8" also -- that way you cut a little bit of weight, but still have the same amount of braking surface area.

Jamie (and others) -- do you need to cut the floor pan when using the 7 1/4" rotor? I don't think you do. We don't cut the floorpan on our flatkarts where the gear rides (like most people do) and as long as we stay under 65 or so gear and run the medium PMI gear guards, we can keep the full rear floor pan one piece and keeps the chain and gears much cleaner. Of course if we were to go to a track that needed higher rear gear, we'd be getting out the old Dremel. ;)
-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com

Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry

765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back