BRC 150 circlip vs spiral lock question

Speaking of circlip positioning . . . The circlips that come with the VHM piston have a "tang" on one end that is supposed to insert into the hole present in the clip grove. So the clip can only go one of two ways. Due to the relief machined into the grove just below the hole, I'm assuming the intention is to install the clip as in photo #1 so that the non-tang end of the clip is in the relief to make removal easier (??).

9WRz95b.jpg

AfEb5rF.jpg

Are you gonna run a BRC at Daytona Road Course? Cool. I'll be around running a laydown in Yamaha Senior.

Yes, the BRC laydown will be there. We ran it at Mid Ohio and Pittsburg AKRA races. It will probably be entered in Unlimited both days. We were going to run it in F125 on the first day, but my driver also runs Yamaha Senior which runs at the same time as F125 so it will have to be Unlimited instead.

Circlip will not fall out if the reciever groove is properly matched to the clip.
Using what the piston manufacturer sends or suggests is always the safest bet.
Spirallocks are a pain to remove, but practice on a junk piston and you will get the hang of it.
Notice that the spirallocks have a narrowed out end. That is for the purpose of removing them. Always install that narrowed end in the out position, because you will want to use a little pick, or ground down small screw driver, under that end, to begin to remove the spirallock.

Circlip will not fall out if the reciever groove is properly matched to the clip.
Using what the piston manufacturer sends or suggests is always the safest bet.
Spirallocks are a pain to remove, but practice on a junk piston and you will get the hang of it.
Notice that the spirallocks have a narrowed out end. That is for the purpose of removing them. Always install that narrowed end in the out position, because you will want to use a little pick, or ground down small screw driver, under that end, to begin to remove the spirallock.
You are so right mr doss! when you said Spiral-Locks are a pain to remove i will take something thats hard to remove over something easy to remove and easy to install.I never want to destroy any engine i have invested my hard earned money in.I never accept anything but Absolute Perfection.But thats just my way of thinking.Always has and always will be.Thanks mr doss you are a very smart man.Your friend wayne Howe:cool:

You might also consider the HDPE buttons instead of clips or spirolocks. I've been using them for 2 seasons now and they work real well, so much quicker and easier to get in and out than the spiro's or circlips, and will not or can not come out of the piston. I have never had an issue using them or heard of anyone with issues. If you aren't familiar with these, they are what came with Havoc brand pistons and also the ones Jimbo sells at FasterMotors, they are lightweight strong heat resistant plastic that will not fail under normal operating temps up to 450-500*

W5R, are you using them in a 2-stroke ?

By the way, HPDE has a max temp of 180.
Teflon has a max temp of 500.
Look it up....

And I had Teflon buttons fail in an 250cc Honda 4-stroke road race bike (15,000 rpm, 14.5:1 compression ratio).
Not something to trust in anything other than a mild engine, like an MX bike, or low output kart 4-stroke.

Not sure what the exact make of them is or what they are made of but they were called hdpe buttons and they held up to the high temps we ran the engines at with no issues at all...could be a mix of Teflon for all I know but I have never seen one melt. I know of a few people using them in 2 stroke motocross bikes

The buttons we use in the fueler are of a mystery material called nylatron. Never had problems. Must be snug to the cylinder wall when
installed.

4 stroke supercharged nitro burning Dragster.
Nylatron sounds like something the average racer is not going to find .
I saw some that were aluminum which would help with temperature problem.
Not going to help with it getting in the port though.

4 stroke supercharged nitro burning Dragster.

There you go...
This thread was about a BRC losing a clip.
Buttons don't work in a 2-stroke, they for the most part have big holes (ports) that the buttons would catch on.

Oh, and Nylatron has been around for at least 50 years.
I have slot cars from the early '60s that have Nylatron gears in them.

Back