Briggs FH lifter bore welding

Flatlives

Looking for recommendations on who to send in a couple blocks for welding as I do not weld. Yes, most folks dont want to bother...but here I am. Location is not an issue.

I wish you luck. Early last year I stopped into several local welding shops as I had a few I wanted to have done. One quoted me $65 per block, one quoted me $90 per block and the other said it would be a 2 hour shop minimum to do them which was going to run me over $350.

Needless to say they got tossed in the junk pile.

I used welded blocks for a while until it tried installing a full length CV guide in the lifter gallery done when valve guides are installed and of course doing the maximum legal amount of champher to the bottom of the gallery. Without that big champher the radius on the lifter is like a wedge , that's what starts the problem. I ran dyno's most radical slapper cams turning them 6800 to 7000 and never had a block break there. I liked the idea of not putting that much heat into the block in that spot.

I wish you luck. Early last year I stopped into several local welding shops as I had a few I wanted to have done. One quoted me $65 per block, one quoted me $90 per block and the other said it would be a 2 hour shop minimum to do them which was going to run me over $350.

Needless to say they got tossed in the junk pile.
In all fairness cast aluminium is the WORST thing to weld,especially used blocks that seem to weep oil out of the pours. Some of those prices are “I don’t want this job” quotes.

In all fairness cast aluminium is the WORST thing to weld,especially used blocks that seem to weep oil out of the pours. Some of those prices are “I don’t want this job” quotes.
I suspect you are exactly right on the quotes.
No doubt welding dirty cast aluminum is not the easiest. Turning up the cleaning agent is a must. I prefer to use helium over argon gas if I am tigging cast.
If I'm not real busy I'd be glad to do it, but otherwise I'd suggest Dyno or Dover.
CREWeldLifterBores2.jpg
CREWeldLifterBores.jpg

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN