Broke Head Stud

I got an ohv the other day and was looking at it and found that it has a broken head stud. What can I do about that? I figured the block was probably trash now but didnt know if anybody had any tips on what to do. It broke and the head stud is about a half inch deep. Does anybody have any tips or tricks?

You can drill a hole in the stud and use a screw extractor if you have those skills. You can completely drill the stud out then run a tap down there.

If it's down a half inch welding is gonna be tough .
Lot of times if it's not bottomed out you can unscrew it with a pick or small screwdriver .
Never used a Brutus A rod sounds interesting .

As mentioned before. Drill a hole in the center gas use a bolt extractor. I have had great success welding a washer then a nut when in aluminum. Leave it for 20 seconds after welding and the heat helps losses things up but it sounds like yours I broke a lot deeper than usual. In that case drilling would be my choice.

Try to center punch the very middle of the bolt. Sharp point and as deep as you can get it. Then a NEW drill bit the appropriate size for the easy out /extractor you plan to use. Do not hurry it or you will dull or break the bit. Make sure the bit makes a big enough hole that you get a really good bite with the easy out. Try to drill it half as big as the circumference of the broken bolt. From one wrestler to another, good luck!!

If it's down a half inch welding is gonna be tough .
Lot of times if it's not bottomed out you can unscrew it with a pick or small screwdriver .
Never used a Brutus A rod sounds interesting .
The slag fills the threads, it will also weld to any known type of steel:)).

Attachments

• C8E0F6B0-5EC6-4560-870E-000741B18652.jpeg
    C8E0F6B0-5EC6-4560-870E-000741B18652.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 38
I learned long ago to take most broken studs to a small local machine shop.
They have the equipment to drill, remove it and it won't take them very long at all.
Tell them it's for racing a kart and you might not even get charged.

Yes I can get them out but most of the time it's not worth the trouble when a machine shop will zip it right out.

Heat & left hand drill bit
Weld (if accessible)
EDM machine

I've never had much luck with screw extractors unless the threads were already free (which is usually not the case with broken bolts/studs.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

If you can find someone to drill the center from an allen bolt the same size as the head stud, then screw it in the hole with the broken stud and this will give you a tool to drill the exact center of the broken piece.

Back