building an open 206. what flathead parts can I use?

Im thinking of building an open 206. I have an inetek block. I know I will need flywheel and coil. And a good port polished and big valve head. My question is. I have heard u can use a flathead crank. And I I can I want to know If I can use my arc 6348 rod and .2 over piston. And then say a 308 or 356 cam. I have an 03ss cam for a flathead. I just don't know if that can is big enough or if it will fit in a overhear valve.any help would be great. If I can use some parts I have. Would be great just to see how it goes for now to keep some costs down

Most of what you have will not work.
If you want to go the cheap rout, I have some used rods & pistons etc but there is no guarantee on race parts let alone used stuff.
I keep some used stuff around to use for mock ups and visual aids etc.

Good analogy Bernie.
First of all you are going to put a crank that was designed for 5 Hp flat head in an engine with very low compression and cylinder pressures in an engine that can easily make 4 times the HP of a flat head.
Although the flat head crank works amazingly well as a Animal stroker crank, I would not recommend putting a used crank that has had probably a bizillion hours of use on a tiller. It's done a lot of flexing during it's life not to mention what the rod journal has worn down to.

Its almost a brand new crank rod and cam. I put it together and ran it 8 laps on our tenth mile. And haven't ran it since.

I have no problem buying new stuff. I was just curious as some of the guys at our track talking about them being interchangeable. And I know part of my flathead aren't old at all

Put a micrometer on that crank journal. They wear out of round so check all around.
If it measures .997 and out of round, it's tired and won't last long.

OK thanks guys.so flathead crank an then how long of a rod should I get? And is there much performance gain in a new piston over the stock? An which can would be better for a small eighth to tenth mile

How true Dan.
I have everything you would need on the shelf.
No need to tie up the forum with a lot of verbiage.
This has all been discussed many times before.
Just a call, email, text or Pm will get the job done.

You are confusing peoplr here probably. The open engines are the Animal 206 right. Some may be thinking you are reffering to the LO206.

What would u guys run for an open then? The biggest opena at our tracks are all 206s
It wont be a 206 anymore, more like a 220+. use a 140 piston and a Animal stroker rod.. adjustable 310 cam ..1.3 roller rocker... 30 mm inlet.. 25 exhaust..tilley carby, not too big... shave of the piston close to 90 thou for 0 deck..but shape the 90 thou to the shape of the chamber...avoid shaving the head, it warps... lot of work, but it will pull like a train.. and watch the valves don't hit the piston....not for beginner builders.

You are confusing peoplr here probably. The open engines are the Animal 206 right. Some may be thinking you are reffering to the LO206.
O I understand. I was meaning the animal. Not an lo206. But I was under the impression the animal was still called a 206.

zena is right on. That combination can be a lot of fun and fairly dependable for the HP output. Go to a billet head if you can to avoid the head warpage issues as well.

We used to build a lot of these before the big block stuff got more popular.

Definitely not a beginner build!

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

What would u charge for the right head/ springs rockers ext and all the head work. I can install can and piston and everything the head just always makes me question myself more than I like

Back