Buller KB-Y97?

Hey Jon I run that pipe on my modified KT. that is the pipe Kermit recomended for me and gave me the port numbers to use on the engine. Do you have one for sale?

arc. is the pipe for bullers 125 open yamaha. ran them a long time ,good pipe!

I need a high rpm pipe for my modified jica. Runs well with a jica pipe but want something designed for oval.

My engine pulls well to 17,000. Its pretty wild port timing, total open time in degrees is 136-138 on the transfers and 196 exhaust. I think the inlet is about 184.

The KB-06 Pipe is a 1 7/8" flex pipe for Open applications running on alcohol. The pipe has violent low end with tremendous mid range. Tunable flex length is 8 7/8 to 10". Recommended header is part number 103-378.

Sounds more like a low to mid pipe for alky. I running gas. Does the KB06 work well on piston port engines. I thought it was a reed engine pipe.

Here is the Y97 Buller description.

The KB-Y97 pipe is 1 3/4" flex and designed for highly modified Yamaha and piston port engines. This pipe is designed for radical port timings, especially on the intake side. Tunable flex length is 8 3/4" to 9 1/4". Longer lengths of flex will give more low end and cause the engine to run cooler. Recommended header is part number 101-123.

The KBY97 Is also an Alcohol pipe. With those exhaust port numbers I have no clue what will work. Maybe a KBL6 but they are all designed for alcohol.

The Tsow pipe is what a lot of the guys run on modified Kts ,also not sure of the port #s or design of it just a lot of em really like it. I run the KBY-97 on my kt design because I set the ports to work with it on alky. I mainly run 1/8- 1/6 mile dirt tracks and love the low end and midrange bang it develops. I turn about 14,500 max #s though. My build develops max torque lower than a lot of others designs do. Lock clutch about 10,000 for tight turns and pulls super hard thru the center and out of the corner. We have short straits and don't do a lot of high rpm runs, very short durations. Havent had much experience with the Jica engines, hav a HPV4 but didn't hardly run it , sold it off shortly after I bought it for a good profit.

Does the KB06 work well on piston port engines. I thought it was a reed engine pipe.
I think Jack Burroughs has ran the KB06 on his Yamahas with one of the outlet holes blocked off with good results. It's been said that pipes don't know what kind of motor they are on. With that being said, if you're looking for a Buller pipe, may consider the Q98 on your JICA.

I’ve built a lot of pipes and tested them on the dyno with the KT, lots. I’ve tried many different ideas. Just guessing, but about 98% of them had power curves under my best pipe somewhere in their curves. Some had more high end, some had more low end, but I gave up long ago trying to port an engine to a pipe and a fuel. If you port an engine, “and dyno it”, you might be able to guess a little better, but without a dyno, your chances are very slim that you will come up with something better. Not saying it couldn’t happen.
If you change from gas to alky, and raise the exhaust port, or make the port bigger, (which does pretty much the same thing as raising it. Study area/time) and you think you can do those things to “fit” a pipe and fuel, you’re kidding yourself Now a blind squirrel could still find a nut, but the odds are about the same trying to match an engine to a pipe and a fuel.
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.

Arc - IMO I couldn't agree with ur assessment more. Answer - YES a absolute awsome open PP low end pipe. JMHO Yeah right & They said Fruit Loops were just for kids. Hon.....wheres the milk & my mickey spoon ? And tell junior that decoder ring is mine & to give it back. ; p

The KB-06 Pipe is a 1 7/8" flex pipe for Open applications running on alcohol. The pipe has violent low end with tremendous mid range. Sounds more like a low to mid pipe for alky. I running gas. Does the KB06 work well on piston port engines. I thought it was a reed engine pipe.

Last edited:
I’ve built a lot of pipes and tested them on the dyno with the KT, lots. I’ve tried many different ideas. Just guessing, but about 98% of them had power curves under my best pipe somewhere in their curves. Some had more high end, some had more low end, but I gave up long ago trying to port an engine to a pipe and a fuel. If you port an engine, “and dyno it”, you might be able to guess a little better, but without a dyno, your chances are very slim that you will come up with something better. Not saying it couldn’t happen.
If you change from gas to alky, and raise the exhaust port, or make the port bigger, (which does pretty much the same thing as raising it. Study area/time) and you think you can do those things to “fit” a pipe and fuel, you’re kidding yourself Now a blind squirrel could still find a nut, but the odds are about the same trying to match an engine to a pipe and a fuel.

What are you talking about Al. Do you think I'm some kind of amateur hack. Of course I test on a dyno. No I dont own one, so my testing is limited with time and money per hour of dyno use. So if you would be so kind as to help me out with useful info or recommend a pipe that would work on my high rpm engine configuration that would be nice, but quit with the basics about using a dyno. No I dont build an engine to a pipe, thats kind of why I posted my timing numbers. If you still build pipes then let me know how to pay and I'll send you the money. I run gas not alky. I have to run gas because its the rules I race under. Visually stock, std stroke all internal mods allowed.

Hey Al we all know that you were involved in the developement of the KTs back in the stone ages, you tell everyone about it all the time. Seems like you have been perpetually stuck in the past. But how long has it been since you even built or did any developement work on one. Have you been involved in any way with a engine other that BSing here on Bobs and trying to cause discontent. Enough of that I must remember to respect my elders even if they are getting cenail with a little dymensia involved. Iam not a blind squirrel as you stated, I have consulted with several other engine builders when I was designing my KTs. I know you cant remember that far back so you can reread the posts. Jon Brogden and I worked togather on some of the design work. Kermit Buller was also very informative with a lot of input as well. Thats how this squirrel got his nuts. Kermit gave some #s to use with this pipe to make it perform up to its possible potential. The build also was heading in that direction using Gordons 2stroke theorys and expanding on them to format the engine to the type of track and style racing I intended to do. I have told you several times I have access to a very good dyno to use but you dont remember that either. Jim Stroud fo MISI here in Tulsa was the original GURU of the KTs in your day and was a good friend of mine. I learned a lot working with him back then and he actually designed engines not just pipes.Your opinions mean very little to me but I dont like to be belittled as you do to so many other on here.Just saying get back in the game and lets see what you got. Quite computer racing and do something in the real world. LOL

Those are pretty wild numbers, you’re right about that. I’m surprised you can run that low a clutch stall RPM.
Tell me about the pipe you now have. Header length from the piston to the first cone and the total length of the pipe.
I don’t have my old numbers for pipe lengths but I’ll tell you, my Number 1, for opens, was a lot shorter than the stock Mc91 pipe.
You might research Dr. Blair’s 2 cycle pipe theories. Belfast University. That’s where I got my numbers for my first pipes. His numbers for total length and header length are real close. I improved my pipes with changes in diameter and shape, but the lengths stayed the same.
One thing important is where the engine reaches peak torque.

Back