Bully Clutch Setup for Clone

Spade13

I have a bully clutch i am rebuilding before the season starts and I read on bully's website to put blue springs in the clutch for a clone. I only run clone so I thought that I should put the blue springs in the clutch. Does anyone have an experience with the different springs or advice on which to run? Primarily running clone 340 classes.

You want the clutch to hold the engine at peak torque, if the blue Springs will do that, then those are the ones you want to use, if not, you may need some different color springs.

When the clutch is holding the engine at peak torque, that torque is transferred through the chain to the rear sprocket. With maximum torque at the rear sprocket, you have maximum horsepower at the rear sprocket. Until the engine and the axle are turning the same rpm, divided by the gear ratio, the horsepower is different at the axle than it is at the engine.
RPM X torque / 5252.1 = HP. So you can see that as long as the axle is turning less RPM than the engine, divided by the gear ratio, the horsepower is different. Once the clutch locks up, the horsepower at the engine is the same as the horsepower at the axle.

If it is a 4 spring Bully, then yes, blue springs will work.
If it's a 6 spring, that wouldn't be my choice at all. Reds or blacks will work better with the appropriate weights on the levers.
I would start out with red springs set at .240" with one bolt in each lever. Air gap @ .035" or so. Adjust from there.

Definitely depends on where your engine makes peak torque. Your engine builder should be able to give you that information.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
28 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

It is a 2 disk 6 spring clutch. It already has red springs in it. I haven't got my motor back from my guy yet so I'm not sure about numbers yet. I'm just kind of looking for generalized advice. I won't be getting my motor or dyno sheets back until less than a week before my first race so I was going to order springs in advance so I had them to put the clutch together when I get the motor.

I would start out with red springs set at .240" with one bolt in each lever. Air gap @ .035" or so. Adjust from there.

If you need anything, just give us a call at the shop and we can get it shipped right out.

I use the blue springs on my open/modified, with them on the clutch and no bolts on any of the levers, it hits at about 5300 or so, which is way too many rpms for a legal clone IMO...

Back