bully clutch spring set up

The correct springs and weights are the ones that hold the engine at peak torque on the starts. A bathroom scale between a strong wall and the front end of the kart is one way of measuring if the clutch is holding the engine at peak torque. The scale will measure its highest readings when the clutch is holding the engine at peak torque.

Considering that your motor is stock....that means it would have a cam in it best designed to run with the governor at lower rpm.
With only one bolt in each lever, I'd stay on black springs at somewhere around .210" spring height. Be certain that all 6 springs measure the same.

If you decide to use red springs, you will need to add more weight to the levers and back the spring adjusters off to .240" or so.

Again, this will get you in the ballpark. You will likely need to make minor adjustments once you get up and running.

Blessings,
Brian

Considering that your motor is stock....that means it would have a cam in it best designed to run with the governor at lower rpm.
With only one bolt in each lever, I'd stay on black springs at somewhere around .210" spring height. Be certain that all 6 springs measure the same.

If you decide to use red springs, you will need to add more weight to the levers and back the spring adjusters off to .240" or so.

Again, this will get you in the ballpark. You will likely need to make minor adjustments once you get up and running.

Blessings,
Brian

Red Springs, you will need two bolts on levers, just like Brian said..........:).............

brian . have 2 sets ( 6 ea) of brass levers for a bully! what is the application for these?( 2 hole strait levers!) new never installed??
john

You can use the brass weights on the Jr1 clutches with red springs. I would think with straight levers, it's a jackshaft application, but who knows what the intent was when they were purchased. I use the angle levers and 2 bolt straight brass weights on our Jr1 single disc Bullys.

Thanks,
Brian

To bring an old thread back from the dead, I am trying to set up a bully clutch for box stock as well. I was running a briggs engine with a 4 spring clutch and then switched over to the box stock class. The clutch wouldn't engage with the box stock motor. I am using blue springs with no weights. Any suggestions on what to run?

Blue springs with no weights will be in the 4500 rpm range -- I'm surprised that a WKA legal flathead would like that.
You will need to make some serious changes to a 4 spring clutch (weights and springs) to get anywhere close to engagement for a stock Predator. I'd highly recommend picking up a 6 spring Bully, black springs with weights, to get to peak torque on the Predator.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz

www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on FaceBook
29 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Blue springs with no weights will be in the 4500 rpm range -- I'm surprised that a WKA legal flathead would like that.
You will need to make some serious changes to a 4 spring clutch (weights and springs) to get anywhere close to engagement for a stock Predator. I'd highly recommend picking up a 6 spring Bully, black springs with weights, to get to peak torque on the Predator.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz

www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on FaceBook
29 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
with black springs on a 2 disc 6 spring bully running out the box stock predator would i run weights on outside , inside or both outside and inside

I would be inclined to run bolts in both sides with the black springs set around .220-.240 range that ought to get you in the 2800/3000 range and come in pretty quick. h

bolts and nuts in both sets of holes on the levers... thus increasing the overall weight of the lever.

Back