bumping in pratice...

subbietjw

so im out at the track today... (sprint course) for open practice... its just that clone, tag, shifter, so on all run at the same time... so im taking laps enjoying my day, and I have a guy in a shifter kart bump me coming out of a corner...made me upset cause the guy broke my bumper mount... to me practice is practice... theres slow guys and fast guys in all kinds of karts... but you run clean!!! you wait tell you can make a clean pass to pass a slower kart... like I went to pass a newer guy in a kt100 today an he moved over on me... I could have been a butt and run into the guy but its not like that!!! I went into the dirt and spun out so I wouldn't hit him... so i ask you is bumping in open practice ok? and if so what happened to common courtesy?

right... rubbing is racing.. but practice is practice... the guy could have at least said "hay sorry I didn't mean to bump you but you came out of the turn slower then I thought you would have" you know no harm no fowl... but when I went and said something he was like "no wasn't me"... like I thought I may have had the wrong guy... so I explained sorry I may have the wrong guy? but when I looked over my go pro I did have the right guy... im not mad... like it happens... but at least be like dude my bad..

Send him a copy of the video. :)

And, JMO, rubbing isn't racing, it's an excuse for those that can't (or won't) make a clean pass. Incidental contact - sure, it's going to happen, but it's usually pretty easy to separate incidental contact from the actions of the "rubbing is racing" types.

I am with you outrider.. one of the big reasons I don't race karts is for that reason right there... I wont lie im guilty of bumping a bumper in a race... but I wont bump you to spin you or to take you out... ill bump you clean to let you know im here... and I don't need to do all that... im just kinda venting... like dude your in a shifter... im in a mild built clone... you can take me clean on any strait you want!! hello.... lol

I don't mind the open practice... ive had some good fun be for.. playing with some of the littler guys on like restricted clones... they know im faster... but ill slow down to there speed n take laps n goof off with them... ive even had faster karts do it with me... some people don't care what you run... there just having fun!!! not everyone does that...

Practice is for practice.... unless it's a good friend of family love bump ;)

I personally have no problem running with different classes because I will drive extra clean and cautious when I know others out there may be faster or slower than me.

Thats one thing I dont like about open practice, your out there with people that are slower than you just like the ones that are faster than you, and sometimes it is hard to avoid hitting someone when coming out of a turn and they are slower than you. If I'm behind someone that I can see is obviously slower, ill hang back a little and make the pass as soon as I can get around, even if it means making the pass on the outside.

One thing that annoys the hell out of me though is when I'm behind someone who try's to run the bottom of the track all the time or as much as they can, and I have to pass on the outside, and they suddenly decide to move to the high line and turn right into me. That is just ridiculous and uncalled for in my opinion. Its pretty easy to tell when someone accidently turns into you and when its intentional, I think most of us know when something is intentional and when it couldn't have been avoided. I hate passing on the outside more than anything, but I will admit that I have made my share of passes on the outside many times to go for the lead because of someone blocking, and I have probably moved someone out of the way just as often for the same reason.

there is no place in racing for idiots who practice taking someone out DURING practice. i don't agree at all with hitting anyone before, during or after a race or practice. it shouldn't matter high, low or in the middle....if your faster than that kart your running up on, then why hit them at all? pass them and go on. while i agree that rubbing someone or tagging them in the bumper to let them know your there happens.....but to intentionally spin, slam out of the way or purposes wander all over the track....i have a lot of heartburn with that.

i find that the track is responsible for allowing this to happen all too much....and then you have the leaders that are the worst offenders and the track lets them get away with it, calling it "protecting the leader" or some other such nonsense. during practice, the track can still use that thing called a black flag and get the idiots off the track and have the pit steward talk to them.....but no....it's all about protecting the kart count and pampering the poor little darlings feelings....BS in my opinion....

but then again, there is no place in racing regardless of the circumstances that warrants any racer from intentionally trying to take someone out....even if it's a slower kart that your running up on....that's when the track is supposed to take action.....

my opinion....

we have a rule at a area track i go to most of the time . it is anounced at the drivers meeting . NO PASSING NO RACING IN HOT/PRACTICE LAPS to keep this sort of thing under control . it has happened to me from time to time . and it is bull . practice laps is just that go out make sure everything is working right no reason for trying to set a track record in practice laps .

Thats one thing I dont like about open practice, your out there with people that are slower than you just like the ones that are faster than you, and sometimes it is hard to avoid hitting someone when coming out of a turn and they are slower than you. If I'm behind someone that I can see is obviously slower, ill hang back a little and make the pass as soon as I can get around, even if it means making the pass on the outside.

I agree with you on the oval. But on sprint course, I don't see anything wrong with open practice, a faster kart will find many places to cleanly pass the slower kart even on a tight sprint track.

we have a rule at a area track i go to most of the time . it is anounced at the drivers meeting . NO PASSING NO RACING IN HOT/PRACTICE LAPS to keep this sort of thing under control . it has

And imo if you do that, you should not have an open practice period, they should be grouped with like karts and engines.

there is no place in racing for idiots who practice taking someone out DURING practice. i don't agree at all with hitting anyone before, during or after a race or practice. it shouldn't matter high, low or in the middle....if your faster than that kart your running up on, then why hit them at all? pass them and go on. while i agree that rubbing someone or tagging them in the bumper to let them know your there happens.....but to intentionally spin, slam out of the way or purposes wander all over the track....i have a lot of heartburn with that.

i find that the track is responsible for allowing this to happen all too much....and then you have the leaders that are the worst offenders and the track lets them get away with it, calling it "protecting the leader" or some other such nonsense. during practice, the track can still use that thing called a black flag and get the idiots off the track and have the pit steward talk to them.....but no....it's all about protecting the kart count and pampering the poor little darlings feelings....BS in my opinion....

but then again, there is no place in racing regardless of the circumstances that warrants any racer from intentionally trying to take someone out....even if it's a slower kart that your running up on....that's when the track is supposed to take action.....

my opinion....

You sure do refer to people being idiots quite a lot. What constitutes an idiot to you? Someone who doesn't do things exactly how you would like for them to? Lol....before You answer that, do you do exactly what every one may want you to do? :)

... all just IMHO and proly dumb and ignert, butt,

Like it or not racing has a pecking order. More often then not time spent practicing or in hot laps is also involved with establishing your place on the racing food chain. Racers race not only to be first, but to be set themselves up at the top of the pecking order.

... and yes those that bump expressing their dissatisfaction with underlings, are low life skum.

When ever I walk a kart pit, I also do a personality search, checking which karts have most tire marks on the inside side panel and which have most marks on the outside panel. You can guess which are the ...

Agreed that, if at all possible, bumping should be avoided in practice. That being said when I practice, I try to go 9/10th's to better myself, so no passing allowed wouldn't be desirable to me.

No passing in practice?
When are you to "practice" passing? Just thinking out loud here.

Not condoning bumping in practice, (and certainly not the denial of such an incident)....just consider what the purpose of "practice" is.

Thanks,
Brian Carlson

Back