bumping in pratice...

i skipped some posts here , so i dont know if this was mentioned . i dont have much time i gotta go but .......................... at any tracks that give you your practice laps should never mix classes together . let jr drivers practice with jr's - let unrestricted flatheads practice with themselves . modifieds with modifieds . and so-on . that should keep things even . and there should be no racing during a few practice laps and no passisng either . now hot laps let'er eat run it till you blow it if you wish

LOL....Some of the biggest names in the sport have marks on their nose and side panels.

This^^^^^
In practice we bump you it was unintentional, in a race bump you a little to let you know where there, you still block you get the boot.

Mikey races on a 3/8 mile car track with TONS of room and passing opportunities , and thats what he bases his thought process from, being a 1 track wonder.
Mikey get on some smaller dirt tracks where there is only 1 groove I bet your thought process changes.

No passing in practice?
When are you to "practice" passing? Just thinking out loud here.

Not condoning bumping in practice, (and certainly not the denial of such an incident)....just consider what the purpose of "practice" is.

Thanks,
Brian Carlson

I agree with these statements. Practice for me is practice. Im always trying new things to get faster. If I don't run hard in practice, I don't learn anything from some changes made.

No passing during practice would be a dumb rule. As long as it's clean then do it. But how many times does someone go out and make a few laps then slow to adjust the carb or something or try and figure out if something is wrong.

I'll either hold back if someone is slower ahead and try to catch back up to them, or sometimes if I know someone is faster than me they get a wave by.

Rubbing is racing is an excuse used by poor drivers. If you can't pass with out bumping go back to the bumper cart track!
46 years of kart racing experience.
Jim

if you want to run faster in practice, and someone is hogging a lot of the track, sometimes its better to put your hand up and slow down till you have some open track in front of you.. then go like stink, and if your fast enough, the outside is probably a solid option

I don't bump in practice, period. I'll grab the brakes before i bump someone in practice and also to an extent during racing as well. I have bumped people in the turns (sorry Andrew) but immediately after the race I have sought out the other driver and apologized.

I have bumped people on the straightaways just to let them know they have close company and I don't mind it providing we're on a straightaway. I find it's good to know when you have a tail as you have to be prepared for them making a move to take your spot away.

Bump me in practice and I'll keep an eye out for you in the race. I don't like a lot of rubbing and bumping but I know sometimes it happens. However, if you're all over me customizing my kart body, I can and have given it back to the offending driver.

As many of you are already thinking, I will race you as politely as you race me. I'm not in this to hurt or get hurt, nor to tear up expensive equipment. I race hard but I know it's all for the fun and thrills of competition.

Our home kart track is a dirt oval bullring, and open practice seems to work quite well - everyone seems to get practice at both passing and being passed (in our driver's class especially at being passed, lol). We liked it because everyone seems to be on their best behavior with the major spread in speeds among the different kart classes that care to be out there (most actually pay attention to what is going on well ahead of them, instead of driving on their front end), and it has given our driver the opportunity to accumulate a whole bunch "extra" seat time in a hurry, which has been a big help. And watching the really fast ones overtake the slower class karts and pass cleanly is an education in what paying attention in traffic can accomplish.

Just random thoughts on open practice when it's going well.

rebfans....idiots (in my opinion) are only the ones that cannot control the kart what-so-ever and use the beating and banging as a excuse to say that you were slower or that you were in some way holding them up, so you "had" to spin them, beat and bang on them or some other excuse for being a bully.

XXX#40....i elect to race on the big track, but i do have enough experience on small bullrings. I've raced on one groove tracks where you can't pass without edging the kart in front out of the way....i don't have a problem with that....i've been in that position of being pushed out and also done my fair share of pushing.....i'm not talking about rubbing and racing, that's all part of it....what i'm talking about is the bullies that use that as an excuse to beat the crap out of someone else...

there is a fine line between racing close and fast where karts will naturally touch, but the drivers maintain control and the drivers that will run all over you, not giving a crap about your safety or the safety of others on the track. that's an idiot.

you've seen them and known them too. you can't deny that. outrider said it right....there is a way, no matter the track or the circumstances, to pass cleanly and have some of the best racing in the world....and then again, you can also go to a track that doesn't care.

i don't have any preconcieved notions that everyone should race the same way as i do. what i do expect is to be raced the same way that i race you....cleanly....

but like everyone on here (and no one on here can deny it!!)....we all can race ugly really fast...

This put a friend of mine in a body cast when I was younger, and this is why I won't race dirt.
Getting the boot from us, you dont wreck, your either tapped to get you a little out of the groove, or we get against your bumper down the straight and push you to the next corner.

The worse wrecks ive ever seen where in sprint karts, so your not safe in either

rebfans....idiots (in my opinion) are only the ones that cannot control the kart what-so-ever and use the beating and banging as a excuse to say that you were slower or that you were in some way holding them up, so you "had" to spin them, beat and bang on them or some other excuse for being a bully.

XXX#40....i elect to race on the big track, but i do have enough experience on small bullrings. I've raced on one groove tracks where you can't pass without edging the kart in front out of the way....i don't have a problem with that....i've been in that position of being pushed out and also done my fair share of pushing.....i'm not talking about rubbing and racing, that's all part of it....what i'm talking about is the bullies that use that as an excuse to beat the crap out of someone else...

there is a fine line between racing close and fast where karts will naturally touch, but the drivers maintain control and the drivers that will run all over you, not giving a crap about your safety or the safety of others on the track. that's an idiot.

you've seen them and known them too. you can't deny that. outrider said it right....there is a way, no matter the track or the circumstances, to pass cleanly and have some of the best racing in the world....and then again, you can also go to a track that doesn't care.

i don't have any preconcieved notions that everyone should race the same way as i do. what i do expect is to be raced the same way that i race you....cleanly....

but like everyone on here (and no one on here can deny it!!)....we all can race ugly really fast...

Like I've said many times already.....go attend some BIG events and watch how people get moved. There are ways that are just common and widely accepted within karting. Its part of it. The majority know it. A few will always complain.

My favorite racing quote ever came from Billy 'Bear' Calicchio one year at the world series at New Smyrna. Teddy Christopher was driving for Bear in the tour modifieds. Bear took (I believe) 6 spare front bumpers for 8 (one night off) nights of racing. After wrecking the last bumper with one night of racing left, Teddy told Bear 'well, rubbing is racing'. Bear replied 'no...rubbing is rubbing and racing is racing. If you knew the (expletive) difference we'd still have another bumper'. This story is based on my personal recollection of the event. It is paraphrased and probably, in some way, inaccurate. Regardless, it suits this thread and it still makes me laugh.

Probally just need to try and talk to the guy doing it then go from there lol! All the bs inbetween does not matter one thing we do is if out set up is not so good we put up our hand to let the gut behind to go around or move over one way or the other i have seen some pretty good drivers take others out which we all know that they did it on porpose sorry to say those are called real idiots was down in dumplin valley one time and two of the big named drivers had issues on the track and the owner had them in the office over the loud speaker told them to shake hands and stop there silly crap or no one else was going to be able to race that worked real good we were back raceing in no time no more bs that night !!

To quote Allen Iverson..."Practice, we talkin bout PRACTICE". I refer to the drivers who bump in practice as try hards. Practice pays $0 at the end of the day. Those are the guys who you have no problem sending off or rubbing into during racing conditions. The drivers who race you clean in practice get a lot more respect during a race. You race people how you want them to race you. Good points all around.

Harry, however, disagrees....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEPwDIGWYug

There is a fine line to walk here. Say, in the original example, the kt100 didnt know you were coming thru, may have been an accident. Some incidental contact can happen if unavoidable. Now, it comes to if you know how to pass correctly or have to bop everybody out of the way to get past, then you really need to work on some passing skills.
That said, i like to practice with the same intensity as a race. That way in the race you dont catch someone out by doing something differently than you have before.

Probally just need to try and talk to the guy doing it then go from there lol! All the bs inbetween does not matter one thing we do is if out set up is not so good we put up our hand to let the gut behind to go around or move over one way or the other i have seen some pretty good drivers take others out which we all know that they did it on porpose sorry to say those are called real idiots was down in dumplin valley one time and two of the big named drivers had issues on the track and the owner had them in the office over the loud speaker told them to shake hands and stop there silly crap or no one else was going to be able to race that worked real good we were back raceing in no time no more bs that night !!
Dumplin is a wide 1/4 mile, with high speeds no need to bump there to pass

dad said the same about rubbin and racin....ain't no such thing....you either race or you rub, but you can't do both. dad parked my butt one night because i was driving over my head....told me to think about being a racer or being a bully while i cleaned the pit tools.....goes a long way in learning.....

Back