Burris 33 tire duro at operating temp

Bradley71

Does anyone choose tires by finding the best durometer tire by this method of bringing them up to operating temp in a hotbox.

That seems like a lot of work . at the track it would be a nightmare .
then a decision on what is the operating temp .
If they are all at ambient temp they should be little variation in results .
comapring one at 40* vs 80* would be futile .

No.
I try to keep everything standard when it comes to checking duro -- if I check one set @ 70*, I want to compare it to other sets checked at the same temps.
Just be aware that as the temp goes up (operating temp or ambient temp) the rubber gets softer and the duro drops.
Use that info to your advantage.
Just be consistent in how you check your duro -- if it's 90* out on race day, then check all of your tires at that temp (AND with them out of direct sun.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Yeah i didnt know if like now how its cold ya check em at room temp,and say if ya get em 97 degrees on 20 laps ya could use hotbox to see which set stays more consistent or which set gets softer at a given temp.it was a thought because ive grinded tires and had em turn bubble gum and some not and hit em with about the same amount of effort.

Yeah i didnt know if like now how its cold ya check em at room temp,and say if ya get em 97 degrees on 20 laps ya could use hotbox to see which set stays more consistent or which set gets softer at a given temp.it was a thought because ive grinded tires and had em turn bubble gum and some not and hit em with about the same amount of effort.
Bubble gum is the prep you are using, have never seen that big of a swing unless it was intentional

If it's cold - check them all cold. The durometer number is simply a comparison number (kind of like a dyno give comparisons in torque and HP for one engine to another.) i just write in my notes what the ambient temp was when the tires were checked.

Of course you "can" check all your tires at a specific high operating temp, but it'll take a considerably long time to accomplish that in a hot box.
Would it be valuable information? Possibly, if you can predict how much heat build up you'll have during a race I suppose. It's not something that most kart racers even monitor, let alone put much emphasis on.

If you're turning tires to bubble gum when refinishing them, you're not using enough coolant, too much pressure, or letting the sander/grinder sit still too long.

Back