Burris 33s vs vega yellow or whites

Ducar 212

I've found a good deal on a set of vega whites which I'd like to get, as well as a set of burris 33s. I was told the vega yellow was the best tire for grip on dirt tracks, I'm new to tires right now and I'm trying to make the right decision here. I'm running SBO and the power is alot to control, I need all the grip I can get. I've run a burris 33, and actually liked the tire, but some of my friends have said vega tires are better. Any input would be appreciated. I need to be able to put the power to the ground

First off, where are you running? While Vega is a great tire, it doesn't mean it will work everywhere. For example, a local track here unless the conditions are right, a yellow Vega will almost never work under race conditions. So tire choice is condition dependent, you can't just say one brand is the best. Also some places have a tire rule, assuming you don't. But, that could be an issue.

Give a little more information, and I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction for that track.

If the track is conducive to a Vega Yellow, it'll be hard to compete with it. Either 33s pounded with prep or 11s might be decent alternatives. Hoosier also has their D30A and D20A which can compete on given tracks.
Still very hard to hang with a properly worked Vega Yellow when the track conditions support it.
Personally, I'd stay away from the Whites for now (at least until you get a better handle on working with Yellows.)

If you have any specific questions or want to get on a solid tire and prep program, give us a call at the shop.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I'm racing small block open at Miller raceway in Montgomery Indiana. I know quite a few guys that run them up there. The track is a fast one, but it takes some laps where the track will take on rubber. It's your typical clay type dirt. The track obviously varies from one night to the next from how well the track was prepped. Basically I need alot of rear grip, which there are things I need to do with my seat position to improve that. Obviously moving it 3 inches left was not the right move, I couldn't keep it on the track. It liked more static weight towards the RR. Anyways I need to scale it and think things over. The extra power makes it harder to drive

Before Jason sold(Ace graphics) we won a good bit of races up there in small block. Yes you will want to be on vegas. I always ran vega yellows up there. Ran burris I few times when I had to and able to win with those too. What kart are you on?

Before Jason sold(Ace graphics) we won a good bit of races up there in small block. Yes you will want to be on vegas. I always ran vega yellows up there. Ran burris I few times when I had to and able to win with those too. What kart are you on?
Its an older Jim white chassis, I believe it's called a front axle bandit. I've had some luck with making it do what I want as far as handling. I really can't complain with it. It's not an offset design, it's a mid 90s chassis. I have some older burris 33s on it now, they aren't bad, but everyone says the vega yellows are wayyy better. I need all the grip I can get

I agree, that chassis has alot of options as far as adjustability. Something more modern would be great, but I'm curious to see what I can do with this as far as the right tires, and having my weight percentage corrected once I scale it. I think I'm off, after I moved my seat. I should have left it alone. Then again I've heard people say that there's no such thing as too much left rear....... idk, I'm not agreeing with that personally

I'm racing small block open at Miller raceway in Montgomery Indiana. I know quite a few guys that run them up there. The track is a fast one, but it takes some laps where the track will take on rubber. It's your typical clay type dirt. The track obviously varies from one night to the next from how well the track was prepped. Basically I need alot of rear grip, which there are things I need to do with my seat position to improve that. Obviously moving it 3 inches left was not the right move, I couldn't keep it on the track. It liked more static weight towards the RR. Anyways I need to scale it and think things over. The extra power makes it harder to drive
That track is NOT taking rubber. It may get a black shiny racing line on it, but that's simply prep being laid down on the track.
Vega Yellows are the tire of choice @ Millers. We've got several customers running our tires and preps and have won many races over the years there.
Get that kart scaled and make sure you're on the right stagger for it. The right tires and prep will help a ton, but can't completely overcome an ill set-up kart.
Feel free to give us a call at the shop if you've got specific questions.

Thank you, well it looked like rubber, it does seem to be faster once the track turns dark.
I'm sure once I scale it I will find out alot of things and why that didn't work out there

Back