Burris ss33 cut or new scuffs?

ahracin

The Burris website says there is little to no need for cut tires . On normal track conditions what would be the advantage of cuts over new tires that have been properly surface ground? Racing at dumplin valley which is most of the time a good biting track .thanks.:confused:

Burris website is wrong. :) As much as I appreciate Mike & Kurt, this is one of those items we definitely disagree on.

I'd be on cuts ALWAYS at Dumplin. That's a big track, and generally bites up, (even if it didn't some rare night, it's still fast!)
Cuts are almost always faster. On fast tracks with big straights, big momentum corners, mid to high bite, cut Burris will always roll faster.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Well, I hate to rain on anybody's parade, but Dumplin valley AIN'T that high biting of a track. It does bite up on occasion, but it usually takes an act of mother nature after the sun goes down. Steve doesn't like watering it that much. We've been running there for over five years and it generally takes a tire with a medium to thick tread for optimum speed. The track can dry out and slick off during the day, without really coming back around after sundown. We don't run full rubber, but I can count the times we needed thin cuts on one hand. Our guys liked flat cuts over round, but we won a lot on older tires with a good prep. Took a lot of stuff at the shootouts the same way. I would suggest leaving any new stuff thick and wearing it down. You will also want something a little harder than new stuff at times, but we never needed any thin, new stuff. Kurt told us about not needing to cut the new ones, but we never tried that yet. I can hook you up with some of our prep to run there, just PM me.

Willie is right. Thats why I was saying you'll need both. The full rubber tires will be used more than the thin cuts. I also prefer the square cuts. Actually the square cuts I get from Willies group lol

Now hang on, guys -- I never said "thin" cuts. I said cuts are always faster there.
I haven't been there in years, but I have customers that have run there and all they run are cuts. Willie - even you said that's all you run.
I'd say we agree on cuts. :)

Now, full versus thin -- that depends on car count and bite. You get a big race in there with a lot of karts and it'll bite up. That's when you'll be on thin and flat.
For a weekly show, it might not matter as much if you had thick rubber over medium rubber. The prep is the key to getting ahold of the track. I don't know what prep Willie is using there but I figure if he's been there a while, he's got something that works. Our Pink Panther works very well there.

give me a call ill talk to you about the tire.

Tim Eilts
Ultra Cuts Performance
N-Gage Clutch Services
815-260-9560

Now hang on, guys -- I never said "thin" cuts. I said cuts are always faster there.
I haven't been there in years, but I have customers that have run there and all they run are cuts. Willie - even you said that's all you run.
I'd say we agree on cuts. :)

Now, full versus thin -- that depends on car count and bite. You get a big race in there with a lot of karts and it'll bite up. That's when you'll be on thin and flat.
For a weekly show, it might not matter as much if you had thick rubber over medium rubber. The prep is the key to getting ahold of the track. I don't know what prep Willie is using there but I figure if he's been there a while, he's got something that works. Our Pink Panther works very well there.

Yea that's true, I was telling the fella he'd be using a full rubber tire more than he'd use a "thin" cut for the same reasons your mentioning.

Thanks for the info everyone . The reason I asked was that I will only be racing a few times this season I figure maybe 3 to 6 races. I have one set of softer right sides for rainy or damp night but was thinking of getting one complete set of new tires to use for the season.so I thought about just scuffing in new tires and let them wear in as I race grinding them after every other race or so.I will get in contact with you guy's that offered to help before I decide. Thanks.

Come on many years ago when Delmar had it....It never bit up. Champs were always fun. Seem that the karts like square cuts med thin tires. If your loose add a uncut left rear to the mix. Red prep when damp and clear prep during day. Clear prep 1/2 hot lap 2---1/2 acysol-- little bit of goat pee to suit. Always seem to work there

Thanks for the info everyone . The reason I asked was that I will only be racing a few times this season I figure maybe 3 to 6 races. I have one set of softer right sides for rainy or damp night but was thinking of getting one complete set of new tires to use for the season.so I thought about just scuffing in new tires and let them wear in as I race grinding them after every other race or so.I will get in contact with you guy's that offered to help before I decide. Thanks.

Go ahead and get yourself a set of new tires while its the offseason, and have them cut just enough to true them up and profile them however you want, then scuff and set them somewhere to cure and harden up, theyll be great tires for a hard fast track if you do that and let them harden up. Alot of guys i know prefer older tires that have been cut, scuffed and cured rather than brand new sticker tires at times, mostly when its high bite tracks when you need a tire harder than they come new. Alot of tracks have ss33a tire rule, but are high bite and hard tracks, where you just cant run a new sticker tire and be fast. If you want some tires cheap, send me a PM, i have several sets that are thin cut and some that are thick cut, all burris ss33a tires, most which would be perfect for places like dumplin valley. All have plenty races and rubber left on them, which you can clearly see in pics. You could buy 3 or 4 sets from me for the price of one new set. But i also see your point for wanting a brand new set for the new season also, im doing the same thing.

Since we are talking mostly about dumplin and different tire cuts, is 6 & 7 air pressure to much for dumplin, can you go down on air pressure to tighten the car up instead of going to a different cut tire or a new one. Just wondering what the thoughts are on that's.

Yes you can go down on air to tighten up the chassis if its needed, or can go to a softer tire, or go from a flat cut tire to a round cut tire. Several ways to tighten or free up a chassis without adjusting it. i would say 80% of handling issues can be fixed with air pressure changes and tires.

Since we are talking mostly about dumplin and different tire cuts, is 6 & 7 air pressure to much for dumplin, can you go down on air pressure to tighten the car up instead of going to a different cut tire or a new one. Just wondering what the thoughts are on that's.

What class?

Back