busted chain guard

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
short black, comes with LO206

anyone ever have a chain break and blow the chain guard in half along the welds??
or for that matter, have a chain break, make contact with the guard and not break?

I had one break, kart was at half speed and split all the welds.

LO206 engines do not come with a chain clutch guard. Have we broke chains? yes on 4 stroke and Rotax, usually min to no damage.

If you have ever seen a chain break and hit the driver you will want the best chain guard money can buy.
Some of the things that are called chain guards are pathetic.

actually I don't think it did its job,.. when it broke, the guard along with the chain made significant contact with my arm, I've got the ripped up arm, stitches and bloody jacket to go along... I would think the chain guard was designed to take the brunt of the force and stay intact. Not the case here... I've taken the parts to a couple of reputable welders in the area, and they indicate the weld was not sufficient to do the job...
the weld did not get into the material (not enough heat) so the weld basically pealed off the aluminum plate.
I have 2 other of these guards, and am having additional welds added to the top side for additional support..

Sounds like it did it's job! No big deal. Bolt on another and get back on the track.

What kind/brand was it? Any "before" pictures? As was stated above, there is no such thing as a chain guard that "comes with LO206". Someone added it on (and it sounds like they went for the cheapest).

No chain gaurd comes with the LO206. So whoever you purchased the motor from installed the gaurd as part of a "package". Not Briggs fault here sorry.

No chain gaurd comes with the LO206. So whoever you purchased the motor from installed the gaurd as part of a "package". Not Briggs fault here sorry.

NOT LOOKING for blame.. just want people to know of the issue.. so no one has to get beat up.. especially kids.. I would have felt real bad if i had to take one of the neighbor hood kids to the hospital from getting hurt on one of my karts
the part is referred to at shops as pm-42anm,or short black, for animal or 206

What kind/brand was it? Any "before" pictures? As was stated above, there is no such thing as a chain guard that "comes with LO206". Someone added it on (and it sounds like they went for the cheapest).

yes i could send pic via text or email, but don't know how to get it off my phone and on to the computer

NOT LOOKING for blame.. just want people to know of the issue.. so no one has to get beat up.. especially kids.. I would have felt real bad if i had to take one of the neighbor hood kids to the hospital from getting hurt on one of my karts
the part is referred to at shops as pm-42anm,or short black, for animal or 206

Nope not saying you did bud. The way your first post reads it sounds like you thought it came with the Lo206 factory is all. But yea if you could post a pic so we could avoid it that would be great. I have two kids running them now and the guards they have are pretty beefy.

Back