buying used tires?

jwmoore

Im looking to get a set or two of wheels and tires but how do you check condition of kart tires and estimate life left on them. Currently I'm running maxxis blues, but how do burris 33a compare? Also what about sizes, mostly be running 1/6th mile dirt oval with moderate banks, prowler chassis.

no idea where your at.
best is from the kart shop you do buisness with.
next some one you race with so you can see exactly what your buying. shipping 8 tires is a bunch of bread.
check the corners that's were the wear is going to be, nothing that looks like its 2 layers or peeling.
tread depth at the dots can be measured or visual .020 is thin .040-.050 is fairly thick.
33's will last a little longer.
track rules may be an issue.

I think buying used tires is a waste of money. You don't know what prep has been soaked into them. Buying online, you don't know the condition. I've bought tires that were only run 20 laps and they were junk. Just my opinion based on my experience. I also understand some people can't afford the new stuff. If you are buying used, buy local.

Agree with nogoats. Used tires are a crapshoot. If you must buy used, try to buy them from somebody you know so you have a good idea of what they've been subjected to. Wear dot depth is an obvious concern, but you'll also want to punch them with a durometer (at racing air pressures) and look for signs of overheating (feathering or extra wear, usually along an edge). Scuffed sidewalls and / or bent rims could indicate wreck damage.

I don't like to pay more than about 1/4 price for used tires (compared to new tires). Most racers sell the tires they don't like - not the ones they like - although it is always possible that you'll like what they don't. Also consider this: if you pay 1/2 the price of a new tire (or more) then the seller can buy a new tire using your money plus his - but he ends up getting a new tire for what you paid for his used tire (or less). In effect you are helping pay for his advantage over you.

when i sell tires i tell the buyer exactly what and how much is in it and how much dot depth there is. I usually sell my tires with a fresh finish, ready to run or ready to be mounted and run. thats about all i sell out of my for sale posts is tires, nothing else moves. its a shame the honesty is so poor when buying and selling.

Back