Camera for a champ kart

MikeQ

Does anyone have any input on cameras for a champ kart? I was looking to get a go pro or some kind of camera. My question is mounting it on the cage? Is there to much vibration? I do notice the flat karts most have them on there helmet. My boys are 5. Don't want to mount to there helmet. Any input would help? Thanks

We have a Go Pro and mount it on the cage. We count on the vertical bars behind the driver. I usually put 8 or 10 round of electrical tape around the bar first, or it would slide down. If you do get a camera, no matter where you mount it, be sure to tether it! I use zip ties, but would be better to use small air craft wire.

Here is a link to one of my sons races, he was nine at this point, our track is not always the smoothest around.

http://youtu.be/eSTzM1eX7RQ

Thanks

Jason

Here one from a smoother asphalt track, but more motor vibration. This is a Jr Champ black plate animal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVQJC3utFWw

There is less vibration when we run the L0206, and with a Jr sportsman purple plate it wasn't bad at all.

The helmet cam is the best way to get good, smooth video. I actually like the vibration, people can get a sense of what the driver is feeling

Good I was told if there is to much vibration the go pro will shut off. I would think this would help a 5 year old learn how to drive the kart better. I am more interested in his feet and watching him on the wheel to start out. Thanks for the input.

It can help a young driver, but it will help you much more. Young kids can't tell you if the kart is loose or pushing, the video will show you how much wheel or counter-steer they need to make it turn. Get them red or orange shoes, that way you can see what they are doing with the brake/gas. It's hard to see with black shoes. They will always deny trail braking/lifting!

Good I was told if there is to much vibration the go pro will shut off. I would think this would help a 5 year old learn how to drive the kart better. I am more interested in his feet and watching him on the wheel to start out. Thanks for the input.
No it won't shut off. I've got "footage" of one bouncing down the track after the mount broke and it kept filming.

I'll echo JTrent and Bonanza...be sure to use a backup tether of some type...speaking from experience. Oh, btw, I KNOW the protective cases do their job! ;)

Back