Can a clutch cause a engine to over heat?

tempest39

Ran my motor last month and track was rough and thought that was what caused my motor to get to 500 degrees. Ran it again this past Saturday night at a different track, kart was not in a bind but got to 500 again after about 10 laps of open practice. Didn't have any tape on either time and same thing. This was only the second time its been run since getting it back from a rebuild and had the old carb they took off so switched it out before qualifying and same thing 500 degrees in 3 laps. Changed motors and put the same clutch on then noticed it had a bad drag feel to it when you would turn the axle. Put a different clutch on and no problem in the race. Still had same gear and pretty much same tires so don't think it was a setup problem. I did check the clutch that I took off and realized that When I changed the driver I had the shims to tight but seems like that would only effect it at idle and not while on the track running. Checked the motor back at the shop and no signs of a blown head gasket so its just got me stumped as to what's going on..

Check to see if the flywheel slipped. To much timing can cause a heat issue. May give the engine builder a call. Also double check your temp lead and tach.

I check first that your temp lead isn't possibly coming in contact with the header somehow and giving you a false reading.....If your moving and the clutch is locked up then it wouldn't make a difference if it was dragging..... now if you were sitting still and the clutch was dragging then your clutch would probably burn up.

You didn't mention what engine it was but a few years ago I had an animal engine that had a small exhaust gasket leak, that leak was enough to give the temp lead a false reading also

Thanks for all the reply's it's a clone and taking it to engine man this week to let him look it over.. Looked it over really and don't see any signs of a blown head gasket.. Hoping for the best and a simple fix..

Back