Carb cleaning

Ravens513

Have an animal with a walbro pz22, it had methanol left in the carb which jelled up. I'm going to clean it, what products works best brake cleaner, carb cleaner? Do I need to remove the jets? Special tool needed to clean jet holes?

Your going to need to scrub it out. I use dish soap and water then carb cleaner. If you can get away with putting the bowl in the dishwasher then go for it! A cleaner alone isn't going to do it. Yes you should remove the jets as well. You are going to need a float and needle valve too. The float will be heavy now and the needle valve has a little spring in it that will stick. You can't clean the needle enough to keep it from causing you grief I promise.

As far as tools go they sell brushes to clean the nozzles on paint sprayers that work great for cleaning the jets and such just be careful not to hog the hole out or marr it up at all. They have those brushes at harbor frieght.

We clean them in mineral spirits, then they go in a Ultrasonic cleaner. Even after a thorough scrubbing with brushes, tooth brushes, and the sorts, the ultra-sonic cleaner removes a TON of stuff out of them. Now, before you say you can't afford a several thousand dollar Ultrasonic cleaner, check out some of the import smaller ultrasonic machines sold for jewelry cleaning on ebay. May not be the quality of the expensive units, but they will still get more junk out of that carb than hand cleaning, blowing with compressed air, repeat process over and over. Just a thought.

Also, be careful of some dish washer solutions as they tend to etch aluminum. I used to do this on Briggs blocks and the aluminum would come out white and powdery if I used the wrong detergent. There's a reason I don't do the dishes in our house! :)

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Solid advice from Brian on the ultra sonic. I picked up a heated ultra sonic at harbor freight for well under 100 that works great on my carbs. I also use mineral spirits in it. Also works great on bearings.

Thanks for the advice all, later this week I'll be asking how get the idle set correctly. If I can get it cleaned out correctly.

Okay did some more reading and found some info on a motorcycle forum and decided do the following.

First purchased the 2.5L ultrasonic cleaner from HF.

Used a 50/50 solution of simple green and water, but placed the parts and solution in a freezer bag, filled the ultrasonic with water and placed the bag in the ultrasonic cleaner. Saves on cleanup, pull bag and water stays clean.

Parts came out clean, rinsed thouroghly with water and used air compressor to dry the parts.

Reassembled the carb and was able to idle the engine around 2800 rpm, not sure if that's a good setting. Anyway after adjusting I'm able to open up the throttle and it runs good, but when I release the throttle it appears to surge a few times before back down to an idle. I would assume I may be running a little rich, but I wanted to get someone's opinion.

Back