Carb help please!

jgorecki00

I am looking for carbs for a couple different setups that I have. They are both clones with stock bore and stroke.
Engine number 1 has a honda flattop piston, arc billet rod (.020 longer), black mamba (.275 cam), raceseng 1.3 roller rockers, billet lifters, chrome moly push rods, 22cc head milled .060 with 27/24 mm stainless steel valves, 26lb springs, raceseng timing kit with s2 finless flywheel, and either a rlv header with trumpet end, super snake header, or loop header (depends which one is best)

Engine 2
Billet rod(.020 longer), max stroke crank, stock size stainless steel valves, 26lb springs, .308 dyno cam cam, champion 1.1 rockers, pvl flywheel and choice of header.

We don't have rules for classes just safety rules. I have a tillotson hl304wxa but all it does is wash down the cylinder. looking for carbs that will be fairly easy to tune and work great with the motor. I wants parts to be easy to get for them. I haven't decided if I will be running gas, e85, or methanol. We have ran e85 with good success on other motors but thinking bout trying methanol. Let me know what ya think and where they are available. I am located in nebraska. I would appreciate any help.

The 304WXA should be fine for that engine, it shouldn't be too rich unless it's not set up correctly or the drill pattern has been opened up or both, it's been the standard for the animal mod for many years which as you may know runs the 308 lift cam and is pretty similar to your engine. If you want a leaner pattern that comes in a 304WXA you can get a gas version of the 304 and run gas , E85 or straight alky, adjusting the metering accordingly, not just needle setting but drill pattern and needle hole size also. The Tilly's tune very easily if set up correctly and have the advantage of being able to tune externally and on the fly. A 304WX with the pop-off set at around 9 lbs and a fulcrum arm height of .065 will tune out about 3/4 high and 1 1/2 low and usually not have to touch the needles all nite. If you need some help with it send me a PM. Jon

We don't have rules for classes just safety rules. I have a tillotson hl304wxa but all it does is wash down the cylinder. looking for carbs that will be fairly easy to tune and work great with the motor.
I don't know anything about a 304 carb, but I do know this, no carb is going to work for you until you learn about jetting! If I interpret you right, and all your 304 carb does is, "wash down the cylinder", whatever that means, then I think you have it jetted wrong. No carb is going to work for you if it's jetted wrong.

Are you familiar with air density? It can have a substantial effect on jetting.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.(Al Nunley)

Well idk how to rejet a 304 cuz to my understanding there aren't removable jets. And as far as the other carbs I have there are stock and running alky in them doesn't work very well from what I hear. I don't know a lot about jetting yet because I just started doin this and it's all new. I have no one to show me so it's just trial and error. If you wanna give me some pointers I'm all for it. I would love to learn how to properly build an engine, time a carb, and setup a chasis but I just don't have anyone who knows. Thanks for all the help do far everyone! I appreciate it

Ya , no jetting to worry about just setting those needles and keeping the needle and seat sealing up good, if it's a stock 304wxa then you probably just have a very leaky needle or seat. Al, washing down the cylinder is a 4 cycle term where it's so rich that it will put alky in the oil, you would never hear that terminology when referring to a two stroke. No problem jgoreck, like I said I'll help you with it, shoot me a PM or give me a call, I hate to see a new karter struggle with a carb. 615 767 9226 Jon

Mikuni tm24 on alcohol from Jimbo at faster motors. You'll never be happier. Main jet around .062 pilot jet around .015. Run all day on a gallon of alcohol and not wash down your oil. You will need a fan on your flywheel though. Plastic ones fit right to it though too. Thats what I did.

Back