case conversion on MX motors for external electric starter

Hobby87

I know this question was posed a while back (maybe even on the old Bob's) but if I recall there is a guy that builds modified covers for a mx motors so you can eliminate the stock kick start by relocating the bendex to the crank and thus use a standard "burris electric starter" to turn the motor over. I believe a person sends the guy the original cover and in return, he'll send the swap over kit for around $100??

If anyone could shed some light on this and hopefully provide the info, many thanks!

-Matt

Get in touch with ReneeAngel she can get the information you need.
The guy is out of Florida I do believe, I talked to him but don't have his number after switching phones. He does Honda, Kawi, Suzuki, and Yamaha.

Thanks Wes, I was able to get a hold of Wendell, turns out he only builds the conversion for the CRF's, was hoping to find something for my CR, oh, well, back to the drawing board!

Do you know any talented machinist? If so the Timken seal and rest of the parts to do this is very inexpensive. It's the time and labor that are expensive to replicate. I thought Wendell done four stroke stuff. There was someone I talked to that did, I don't remember who now. But, they didn't have a setup to do KTM, which I later found out can't be done that way.

Either way, if you know a machinist that can find center on the crank and bore the cover out to accept the seal and extension piece you're golden. It's very simple to explain, but much harder to physically do.

CRS#27, I'm to fat n lazy, lol.... I kick started it initially, but seems from time to time it won't start that way, plus with the wedge it's not that easy to get my foot in there and hey, it's just money, right??....

-Matt

I do know a couple of talented machinist, but i guess I'd need to see a similar motor with side cover off to understand how the exension works, etc... I get the seal part on the cover, the thing that threw me was Wendell said I'd have to build the extension on the left side of the motor due to the water pump being in the way???

I've seen some CR250 motors started off the left side of the motor (ie stator cover removed). Driver is out, fire the motor, they jump in the seat. Might be an "easy" way to do it with minimal machining/cost.

I've seen some CR250 motors started off the left side of the motor (ie stator cover removed). Driver is out, fire the motor, they jump in the seat. Might be an "easy" way to do it with minimal machining/cost.

There's a guy I run with that does it this way, requires a hole in the seat. He uses a modified flywheel puller so he doesn't have to worry about loosening the flywheel from starting it.

PBR Allstar/Reneeangel, that was the exact discussion I had with Wendell, i'm not opposed to a left side start up as a hole in that area of the seat shouldn't bother me, anyone know anyone personally I can get pics/ design ideas as again, I get the concept, but not sure how to excute.. I'm all for DYI, but would want to do something of solid build and safe to use/operate, my main concern is still the limited space to work with, so starter/shaft could not be too long/bulky

-Matt

one other question about starting off the crank as I am not too familiar with the MX motors... do I need to worry about kickback off the crank? I mean my animal is not bad, but it's 1/4 the HP of the MX and turns 1/2 the RPMs, roughly..

Back