Caster - How to measure?

Mike Clark

Sprint Kart on pavement:

How is caster measured on a kart? Snipers only measure camber and tow. What tool do I need to measure Caster?

As an added bonus I am open to hearing any advice on the matter of adjusting front angles, such as what to adjust first, second and third.

Thanks in advance.

Mike, welcome to Bobs 4cycle. You can use a ruler and a magnet that generally comes with a sniper kit.http://sniperamericas.com/v2_inox.pdf

Like it says this method just compares the caster rate from one side to the other side to make sure they booth have the same amount of caster. To measure the degrees of caster a kart has is more involved. I do it with the frame rails level on my chassis table and use an angle finder on the king pins to get the true amount. That measurement changes some with a race set up as the ride height front and rear affects it along with the tire diameters used front and back.

Mike, welcome to Bobs 4cycle. You can use a ruler and a magnet that generally comes with a sniper kit.http://sniperamericas.com/v2_inox.pdf

Like it says this method just compares the caster rate from one side to the other side to make sure they booth have the same amount of caster. To measure the degrees of caster a kart has is more involved. I do it with the frame rails level on my chassis table and use an angle finder on the king pins to get the true amount. That measurement changes some with a race set up as the ride height front and rear affects it along with the tire diameters used front and back.

I must thank you for such a complete and useful response.

BTW - don't forget how much it may change when some weight is put in the seat.
Thank you.
That is probably what has lead me to the question as much as anything else. I am not happy with the handling / tire wear. Too much toe out and negative camber I feel. I have not idea what the caster is set at and need to verify and track it. Let's not sugar coat I am putting a "lot" of weight in the seat. Luckily I am just at weight with no weight added. I plan to lose 5-10 before season is over.

I bought an angle finder at Home Depot, use it like Freezeman says.. It works good.
Can't go wrong with the advice of a Multi Champ - Thank you as well.

It is very nice to have such a good response to my first post on this forum.

Back